Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heenan....just a couple of weeks away !!!

For all that may be planning a trip to Heenan this weekend:

There's a new fire (Slink Fire) just to the south east of Heenan.
    Looking at a map, it looks to be within 5 miles of the lake near Coleville and Walker. Hope you're safe and O.K. Dick (in Coleville)

And the local weather forecast for Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday is for record/near record triple digit temperatures.

Best to check the latest fire conditions before heading up.
    If Heenan doesn't close due to the Slink Fire, bring lot's of personal consumption water and be prepared for HEAVY smoke.

If it's not the Covid, it's the damned fires.

Just passing on some information to all of you.

Good luck guys and gals......................................

Bob

Thanks for the info Bob. I’m teetering on the trip now- heavy smoke, fire, full moon, 97 degrees at 7000 feet altitude and a horde of fisherman on a small lake. The optics are not good. The wild card is the opening day only comes around once a year. Having been a wedding photographer for the last 15 years I have always had a wedding this weekend. Soooooo- a challenge to be had. Come say hello if you see a guy in a float tube with a straw hat and three extra poles hanging on the side looking confused

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    Thanks for the info Bob. I’m teetering on the trip now- heavy smoke, fire, full moon, 97 degrees at 7000 feet altitude and a horde of fisherman on a small lake. The optics are not good. The wild card is the opening day only comes around once a year. Having been a wedding photographer for the last 15 years I have always had a wedding this weekend. Soooooo- a challenge to be had. Come say hello if you see a guy in a float tube with a straw hat and three extra poles hanging on the side looking confused
    Bill, make a call or two before heading up for sure.
    I've seen a couple of "Slink Fire" web pages that claim that the south side of Hwy 89 (Monitor Pass) is closed.

Heenen is definitely on the south side of Hwy 89.

Please................... make another phone call or two before heading up.

Not trying to start any rumors or dissuade you..........................just relaying some of what I read this morning.

Have a good time if it's open and you can make it up there.

Bob

Thanks Bob for the update. I did drive by this evening and found the roads to be open. A lot of campers parked near the lake getting ready for an early start tomorrow.

According to this site, Heenan is closed.

https://wildlife.ca.gov/Lands/Places...Heenan-Lake-WA
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

FYI: Per DFG-PIO Hennan is closed indefinitely due to the Slink fire and other fire restrictions. If that is not enough, Davis and Frenchman's are also closed to fishing and camping. Additionally, Desolation Wilderness and all National Parks in CA are closed. Mostly due to the fire danger and some covid. Air quality on the north coast is 200 to 500 aqi. Eel river area is on fire. Siskiyou county (Lake Shastina) 200 to 300 aqi. Lake Tahoe is 187 aqi at this time. No idea when things will change unless we get a wet storm...I hope things change soon. Pyramid Lake news is not good, I agree with Bob...what are they thinking???

Default Pyramid Fees....

I imagine the proposed fee change is designed to limit the number of fishers (all types) at the lake until some solution to the pandemic is found (vaccine, etc.). Seems that people of color are infected with COV19 strikes more often and the negative impacts are great. The prospect of requiring hospitalization from anywhere on the Rez would be costly and require lengthy transportation, especially in winter (driving on iced roads, etc.). So, maybe the loss of revenue from individual fishing permits is acceptable to the tribe....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown