Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hydro Power Generaation....

Default Water???

"We will always have a water problem due to the huge population of Southern California."

A bit off topic but, agreed, California will always have water problems. However, it has been clearly shown that the single largest consumer/user of water from SWP/CVP is agriculture, not the huge population of SoCal and this does not include industrial use of potable water by Info Tech, etc. SoCal water agencies and local governments have combined to recover water through recharging aquifers and constructing DeSal facilities in various locations and sizes over time. In truth, they're doing a better job of conserving water than we are.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    "We will always have a water problem due to the huge population of Southern California."

A bit off topic but, agreed, California will always have water problems. However, it has been clearly shown that the single largest consumer/user of water from SWP/CVP is agriculture, not the huge population of SoCal and this does not include industrial use of potable water by Info Tech, etc. SoCal water agencies and local governments have combined to recover water through recharging aquifers and constructing DeSal facilities in various locations and sizes over time. In truth, they're doing a better job of conserving water than we are.
    Darian, if I am misinformed, please correct me.

It is my understanding that the State of California does not have mandatory reporting requirements on the acquisition or resale of water. Water districts have refused to provide the information and the water lobby has convinced the Legislature it is not necessary.

Meaning: public knows only who first "receives" the water on paper. We do not have any record of how much water is sold to users (and what type of users) versus how much is resold to other water districts or to water resellers (who do not have any users)--- and how much profit is made from reselling water.

Example: Kern Water has rights to water coming out of the Delta-- and that water is earmarked for "agriculture" but a lot of the water never gets to Kern. East Bay Muni Water District purchases a large amount of the water for resale to consumers and industry in Contra Costa & Alameda Counties -- and on occasion, for resale to other districts.

Why can't the public see the truth about who and where water is actually being used and who is making money by reselling water?

Jim

Default Water???

You're not entirely incorrect. As far as I'm aware, there is a requirement to report distribution of surface water here and one of former Governor Brown's acts was signing legislation that required reporting of groundwater pumped (not effective until 2022 if I recall correctly). Tracking of water sales/usage in CA requires putting together information from a bunch of sources (lots of time required). While it's a bit difficult to get specific information about sales from places like the Kern water bank, there're several on-line sources (private/public education/government, media, public interest organizations) where water use may be found. Also, water contracts/sales to water agencies are recorded by BuRec/DWR. Even sales of water rights are reported (e.g. the partial sale of water rights by Sandridge Partners and those acquired by MWD in Yolo County, etc.). Helps to know the names of all the private/public water agencies/users, too.

It's good to hear that someone out there is interested in trying to find this stuff out. In answer to your last question, I don't have any idea about why it's so difficult for us to find this information. Chalk it up to dealing with bureaucracies. At this point, I'm no longer interested in investing the time/effort to research it. I've filled several reporters notebooks with information about this and related matters; more than enough for me.

I realize this is a very general response to your questions. Hopefully, someone else with knowledge of this will chime in....
    Last edited by Darian; 08-28-2020 at 09:25 AM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown