Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some small stream brookies

Question Looking for some small stream brookies

Hey fellas,

I'm a little hesitant to ask this because I know it's a little audacious to just come out and say it, but I've got a couple of kids who LOVE to fly fish for brook trout. We had some success with that up in Oregon this past summer and I'd like to keep the momentum going. I'm in the San Jose area. Looking for a possibly alpine meadow type slough situation (but any smaller water) within a day's drive where I can take them to catch some brookies. A couple/few of miles hike not out of the question. Any advice would be appreciated. Feel free to PM.

MW

It's a cluster but Tuolumne Meadow's up in the park has what you're looking for. Tons of people but none of them are there to fish. The Dana and Lyell forks have a bunch of brookies in them. That being said, someone will no doubt be along shortly to tell you the water is too low and warm and it would be bad for the fish.
    If you ever have more than a day take your kids on the 20 lakes loop above Saddlebag lake. There's a shuttle that takes you across Saddlebag to where the loop starts. I did it years ago with my father in law. Nice little one day excursion.

Quote Originally Posted by MThompson View Post
    It's a cluster but Tuolumne Meadow's up in the park has what you're looking for. Tons of people but none of them are there to fish. The Dana and Lyell forks have a bunch of brookies in them. That being said, someone will no doubt be along shortly to tell you the water is too low and warm and it would be bad for the fish.
    If you ever have more than a day take your kids on the 20 lakes loop above Saddlebag lake. There's a shuttle that takes you across Saddlebag to where the loop starts. I did it years ago with my father in law. Nice little one day excursion.
    Thanks! I've fished up there a couple of years ago and that is exactly what I want, but, alas it's bloody impossible to get into the park right now. They are requiring day passes. I looked it up and they only had 5 mid-week passes in late September and nothing past that. Stupid Coronas.

I would recommed to check if The Virginia Lakes up by Bridgeport are open - there are plenty of lakes that hold brookies - the only issue that I have there is the altitude - it's about 10k about sea level

Yes!^^^^ Great suggestion. The lakes right above big Virginia would have some brookies for sure. Easy hike to at least two lakes.

Just had another spot pop up in my head from years ago. Look up the Crabtree Trailhead to Bear Lake up off 108. It's closer to you and I remember there was a small lake on the way to Bear that had a bunch of Brooks in it. Bear was bigger and deeper and we caught some nice rainbows on sink tips. This was 25 years ago.

Thanks, guys! Really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by mhw View Post
    Thanks, guys! Really appreciate it.
    Used to be nearly every lake in the Sierra had a bunch of brookies. Hike in. Throw in a Royal Wulff. Catch a brookie. Now I need to relearn what's what. The stocking program was greatly diminshed, and a number of lakes had the brookies removed to protect the yellow-legged frog.

Quote Originally Posted by mhw View Post
    Thanks! I've fished up there a couple of years ago and that is exactly what I want, but, alas it's bloody impossible to get into the park right now. They are requiring day passes. I looked it up and they only had 5 mid-week passes in late September and nothing past that. Stupid Coronas.
    Do not fret. I was fortunate to get a pass back in July. Yes, it was wondrous to be there with so few others. The T in the meadow was very very low and barely a flow. Still beautiful. You'll find other suggested areas better and do not require the pass. Glad your kids are enthusiastic.

Sonora Pass is beautiful too.

Cole creek close to bear river reservoir is stacked with brookies. As is wagon wheel up off 89 not far from Tahoe