Thread: Air quality and where to fish in Oregon?

Default Air quality and where to fish in Oregon?

I was waiting for this trip for two years. What can be better than a week in my two favorite places in the world: Ah-Di-Na at McClould and Pit river. But air quality forecast for next week makes me cry. I assume it will be the same in the river valley, right?

Things seem better looking north - Medford (OR) and north of it. But I have never fished there. I would really appreciate for your help:
    1. Any recommendations where to go?
    2. Do you know of a similar fly fishing forum in OR to look for more info?

Thanks again and stay safe!

Tom

'Spey Pages' is a huge two handed fly fishing forum but not sure if they allow anyone to give you directions, especially if you are from CA?

The air quality around Grants Pass to Shady Cove on the Middle Rogue river is Green right now which is to die for = excellent.

Get a StreamTime map of the Rogue river.

I think this is a good fly shop in Medford, OR:

https://roguevalleyanglers.com/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

This website covers exactly what you're looking for about air quality:
    https://www.purpleair.com/map?opt=1/...3.711/-122.031
    A general thing to keep in mind, is that the "Purple" network of air quality sensors tend to read a little bit higher than the calibrated air quality sensors used by Govt agencies. But I use the "Purple" network simply because they are in more locations and update in near real time, unlike the Govt sensors.
    The higher the number, the poorer the air quality.
    Good luck in getting anyone from the PNW spilling the beans as to what's fishing up there.
    I live just outside Redding in the great county of Shastanistan, and the air quality next week is "supposed" to improve significantly early next week.
    Last edited by WLREDBAND; 10-02-2020 at 09:31 PM.

I have just gotten into these air quality sensors online recently.

I have the "Local Haze" app on my iPhone.

I don't think I would enjoy fishing anywhere over 100 or so.

At 200 I don't think you should be outside for more than few minutes at a time.

It is 199 right now in Davis, CA. and I am not happy because I am not able to work outside on my boat.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Pit 3 reach should be ok, AQI in Burney is at 45.
    Last edited by tcorfey; 10-02-2020 at 10:52 PM.

That was /is my favorite stretch of wild trout stream in my life time, until they raised the flows.

It is OK because at 75 with a slightly compromised left knee (did it on the Pit) I am OK.

I have memories of great fishing and of good times with some wonderful friends, camping at Deep Creek camp ground.

I am more of a boat angler now which is a great thing for older fly fishers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Thanks for info and advice.

I wonder if air quality in the river valleys will be worse than what it is showing online for Burney or Dunsmuir? Has anyone been at the Ah-Di-Na or near the Pit lately?

Thanks,

Tom

Air quality up here in Shastanistan can (and does) change on an hourly basis depending on weather and fire conditions. Smoke in the valleys is totally dependent on height of inversion layer (and other weather factors). No one can tell you what the future will actually bring. The air quality forecast is "supposed" to start getting "better" from TUE on later in the week. Right now, air quality in Shastanistan ranges from "red" (unhealthy) and into "purple" (seriously unhealthy).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinsley View Post
    Thanks for info and advice.

I wonder if air quality in the river valleys will be worse than what it is showing online for Burney or Dunsmuir? Has anyone been at the Ah-Di-Na or near the Pit lately?

Thanks,

Tom

Not clear about your trip timing, but by the end of the week it should definitely get a bit better. Maybe sooner.

There is supposed to be a weather system that goes through on Saturday the 10th, which will stir up the air quite a bit, and if it gives some decent rain on the northern part of the state, will also help to knock the August complex back which is the main smoke producer right now.

A south wind will clear out the northern valley quite a bit, the reason there is so much smoke is that there has been a north wind the past week, bringing with it a lot of smoke from the North complex, August complex, and Zogg fires.

I heard the Truckee area and eastern Sierra was better for AQI this past week, but the Purple map doesn't seem to reflect that reality.

Quick update from the Pit. Fished it for two and half days. Not sure if I can count it towards spa time but I definitely did not feel any negative effects of air quality. Actually, it was refreshing near the river.

Spent my time on Pit 4. Fish are very active. Although, I prefer fishing traditional runs and pools after them and not the pocket water (I can't see the damn strikes and then I do I can't react fast enough so end up hooking most of the fish from outside the mouth). Prince nymph with white wings did miracles for me. But it is size bigger (maybe 12?) than I normally fish. Tried small size - fewer takes. And as always on the Pit - lots of lead. Sadly did not catch anything above 15 inch. Even some deep pools with lots of fish gave me 13-14 inch fish. But for me this is typical Pit.

And yes, fell a few times, slid 10 feet down the mountain (twice), broke my rod and wading staff, hands are so battered I couldn't sleep without painkillers. The highlight of the day was when after sliding down and not being able to out I used a small pocket knife to cut some foot steps in the slope. Basically, everything as Pit standard . But found some amazing places, caught lots of fish and have not seen another person for three days. Not much else to wish for.

Going to McCloud today. I know a few spots where big browns like to hang out. Let's see if they are there and hungry.

Best,

Tom