Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desolation Wilderness - Golden Trout

Default Desolation Wilderness - Golden Trout

I am planning a backpacking trip for the family this coming July. We will be hiking from Meeks Bay through the Desolation Wilderness and exiting at Echo Lake. I would really love to add a Golden Trout to my list of trout species caught while we are hiking. We should have time for a diversion to specific lake or tributary.

Can anyone tell me what lakes and tributaries would be my best bet?

PM appreciated if you don't want to give away you secret spots.

Thanks! Katz
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Clyde Lake used to have goldens, but they have been eradicated by DFW for frog habitat (I believe). I also understand the remnant golden trout population below Clyde Lk in the Rubicon River have also met their demise. Cup Lk used to have goldens, but have been replaced by Lahontan Cutts.

So.....I believe the only lake left in the Desolation with golden trout is Kalmia Lake. There is a self-sustaining population in that lake. I've been there once about 10 years ago and saw a few good sized ones cruising. But I've seen a report on another website recently that the goldens are still there, and some good sized ones to boot. Getting to Kalmia Lk isn't easy though. But the views up there are spectacular! Best way to get up there is from Azure Lake. There's no real trail, but if you can read a topo map, you shouldn't have a problem.

Thanks Jeff. I'll definitely see if Kalmia Lake is within reach of our trip. I may have to do a Golden specific trip someday farther south in the Sierras. Katz
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Alta Morris lake used to have some monster Golden x Rainbow Hybrids. Last one I caught out of there was in early 80's. Have never been back since
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

Katz, I sent you a PM yesterday with some info. Hope it helps!

I'm looking to catch my first Golden but can't head down to Yosemite/Mammoth lakes area, but can do the desolation. Just wondering if anyone has more up to date info? PM appreciated if you don't want to give away your secret spots. Thanks!

I backpacked Desolation for many years. Never saw or caught any Goldens, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. It is sad to see that DFG has seen fit to eradicate those "horrible" trout that were decimating the frogs that sang all night during the times I went.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Cup lake use to have Golden trout in it, but that was years ago . Mike

I love where Sierra trout live. Other than a few yearly trips to the Delta, 8k/10k ft is where I spend my time during the summer. You will be hard pressed to get into goldens north of Fresno. But on one occasion, I did get, what I think was a hybrid, in Yosemite valley, maybe 15 yrs ago. John Muir and Golden trout wildernesses are hot spots. You will need to gain elevation above 9,000ft in these areas. In Desolation bows (my favorites, next to goldens) are proud fish.

I'm not gonna tip my hand here, because my Curtis creeks are mine alone. But you may consider checking out the Saddlebag lake area. From what I've been told, it's an area where you can do a "choose your fish" lake. Many lakes from 10,000 ft to 14,000. 2 to 4 miles hiking, unless the boat taxi is running, but probably not running. I've been there, warning; it's cold no matter the month of the year. And there ain't no air up there. A great place to earn your Mountain Man Badge. I admire your "chops"

Twenty Lakes Basin does indeed have some goldens, and is a pretty flat hike in, only a couple hundred feet elevation gain. It also has, by far, the most savage mosquitos I have seen anywhere (at least at Z Lake). Need to get a little higher than Z to find Gold, though.

I’llecho the south of Fresno for goldens rule. I’ve also found Cottonwood Lakes to be a little overrated, but south of Horseshoe Meadows, or over New Army Pass from Cottonwood Basin, and you are into spectacular fish, better scenery, and almost untouched waters.

Not to highjack the thread, but has anyone fished along the High Sierra Trail? We’re doing it next summer, and I have only been on the stretch between Guitar Lake and Whitney Portal, so the rest will be new to me. Thanks!