Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Consequence of Ocean Rise??....

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    OK, enough political commentary. My original thought in posting was to highlight the potential loss of Bonefish and GT's through dredging of flats to raise elevation and the potential loss of Christmas Island as a fishing destination. I'm a non-affiliated voter and don't give a damn about political comments here.
    I’m a non affiliated voter too but politics play a role in your topic. Unfortunately politics plays a big role in fishing these days. Just the reality.

Darian,
    Good topic and thread.
    The LA Times recently ran an article about the rising sea levels and
    the ground water. I've included a link. Rising sea levels are also a concern
    for folks in the Marshall Islands with regards to a buried nuclear waste
    matter. Kinda strange how those that want to dismiss this issue yet forget
    that Trump has asked for permission to build sea walls at his
    Irish golf courses, claiming rising sea levels.
    Best to you and all Kiene members,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego
    https://phys.org/news/2020-08-califo...-safe-sea.html

I think God is to blame for the Climate changing, which effects the sea level.

The World's climate has been and will always will be changing/cycling.

With lots of Wars and a One World Order we will never get countries like China and India to go along with the Climate fix.

Why should the Untied States of America go bankrupt trying to alter the World's climate when other countries could care less.

There is little man can do that is economically feasible to alter the Climate, at least that is what they were teaching in the 1960s?

I would rather we went back to fighting pollution, which something that is feasible and practical.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default None

Larry S,.... Thanks for the link. Interesting read. I wonder if Christmas Island has any buried nuclear waste?? The Island was used as a test site for nuclear tests by the U.S. and later, the British.

During my last trip to the Island, there was a lot of development in the form of construction of some docks and the electrification of the settled areas. No dredging, yet. Roads were surfaced better than in past years, also. Maybe the money came from FDI by China??....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Have Any of you guys fished christmas island for GTs before? Sounds incredible. Is it wading flats from shore like bonefish or from a boat? 12 weight rods? Would love to experience that someday if i win the lottery, or maybe sea run browns in south america. Sad to think i may not have the opportunity to with rising oceans/climate change. Where else are they found other than christmas?

Default GT's....

Jcolin,..... GT's are found throughout the tropical Pacific and Indian Oceans as are other types of Trevally. GT's. are the largest and probably the most aggressive. They can be caught on anything that is cast to them. 12 weight fly rods are recommended but a large reel with capacity for a lot of heavy pound test backing plus fly-line is necessary if you want to land one. GT's can be found on the flats or in deeper water. They always seem to be on the move (hunting). At Christmas Island, I've only seen them when I've been on the flats, Bonefishing and they pass by. One, around 90 pounds in weight, was following an Eagle Ray on the edge of a flat leading to deeper water. By the time I was able to switch to the 12 wt rod/fly and cast, it was gone. Very exciting.

There're many videos on YouTube showing GT's in action. Look up any lodge at Christmas Isle on the internet and they'll usually have a list of equipment they recommend for fishing there.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

GT's ! Wow! That sure got my attention. I've become totally addicted to GTs and can't wait to get back in some warm saltwater where they habitate. This has nothing to do with rising ocean levels but sure makes you think about something else in this world a lot more fun than corona virus stuff.

I've taken lots of Gts on the flats at Christmas Is. but realize GTs aren't always GIANTS. They can be juveniles too. The really BIG GTs are few and far between and a quick responce is critical to getting a shot at one.

If you go back in the "Saltwater" column and type search GTs you'll find several of my stories with lots of pictures to get your juices flowing.

If we ever get the okay to travel again you can bet I'll be on the next plane heading to the south Pacific with a couple of 12 weights

Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Thank you Darian and Tony, would love to be able to do a trip there someday.

Jcolin, (what's your first name?)

If you ever get started in saltwater stuff you've got to look at the Youtube videos about the Seychelles. This is GT heaven if ever there was such a place. It's still at the top of my bucket list. Astove, Cosmolito, Farquar, (check out the video of the GTs catching birds in the air), Providence, and I'm sure there are more but these pop up first in my mind.

Now, if I could just figure out how to pay for such a trip ?
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Certainly Kiritimati is a good primer for GT’s as the average Flats fish is between 10 and 25lbs.You’ll see bigger ones but getting a Fly to them is another story.Targetting them on a rising late afternoon tide in the right place pays better dividends.Bring your A game.