Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Consequence of Ocean Rise??....

Default Consequence of Ocean Rise??....

Was reading some news and found the following info about Christmas Island, taken from Facebook (source - The Guardian):

"Kiribati Will Lift Islands to Avoid Rising Sea

It’s just trying to keep its head above water. While a previous administration of the archipelago nation bought land in Fiji as a potential refuge if climate change makes Kiribati uninhabitable, current President Taneti Maamau’s new plan is to elevate the islands by dredging nearby waters for fill. Maamau, who’s seen as allied with China and was just reelected in June, says he won’t accept large loans or allow China to build a base on its strategically key Christmas Island, though China has funded similar infrastructure projects before to gain military access to other small countries."

The prospect of dredging the flats around Christmas Island is bad enough but having the Chinese government establish a military presence there, as well, is mind boggling....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The Chinese influence in the Pacific is truly cause for concern as they build their expansionist stepping stones, and their strategy is simple in it's execution. Build vital infrastructure like airports, harbors and roads, grant loans that third world countries can't repay, then take control of the asset in lieu.

To Australia's north, New Guinea is a perfect example...but re Kiribati, there are many islands in the Republic and C.I. is the prize as it's the biggest island, and rumors have circulated for some time that the Government wanted to move the capital from Tarawa to there. Logistically this would require a mammoth effort, and then there's the matter of a reliable water supply etc.Tarawa, as everyone knows, is an overcrowded and polluted s#####le. I think that the dredging you refer to applies to islands other than C.I. at this stage.

It's also common knowledge as Darian mentions, the new President is beholden to the Chinese. Here's an example. The Kiribati government asked their long-standing friend, Taiwan, for a new big plane. Taiwan replied they couldn't do it....enter China who said "no problem".....Allegiances quickly shifted. End of story.....well for now anyway. Be afraid...be very afraid.

Question Christmas Isl....

WOW!! Scary stuff indeed. Thanks for your insight. I suppose the same problems/threats are applicable to the Cook Islands??
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Much of the World believes that Communist China released COVID-19 on the entire World.

184 countries are all now in fear of China and many will be pulling back, if even slowly.

Communist China will now be slowly ratcheting down over the next decade.

China's huge emerging Middle Class wants what America has, a Democracy, so their Communism might collapse.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill,

Another good reason to vote for Trump - He won't take any shit from China.

Carl Blackledge

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Bill,

Another good reason to vote for Thump-He won't take any shit from China.

Carl Blackledge
    That’s a very interesting way to look at it. Sure didn’t do diddly squat to deal with the virus when we had a chance, still hasn’t done much for that matter. He talks tough, but no real action.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    That’s a very interesting way to look at it. Sure didn’t do diddly squat to deal with the virus when we had a chance, still hasn’t done much for that matter. He talks tough, but no real action.
    Really? Would you have closed the country down early with less then 50 cases in Feb? Or just over 200 cases in March? No one backed shutting the country down with only 200+ cases in March. And if he did you’d probably blame him for the economy crashing because the virus wasn’t what everyone thought. Let’s all be real, the death rate of this virus is .04%. Far from the 1-3% the liberal media was shouting. I don’t agree with his environmental handling but if most of his polices were done by Obama you’d be praising him. FYI, the president doesn’t control states and how they’re ran. The states run themselves. If you want to blame someone for what’s going on look at your local government. Gavin Newsom is doing a horrible job running this state. Not to mention the rest of the Democrat ran areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Bill,

Another good reason to vote for Thump-He won't take any shit from China.

Carl Blackledge
    Exactly!!! Enough is enough.

Default Politics??

OK, enough political commentary. My original thought in posting was to highlight the potential loss of Bonefish and GT's through dredging of flats to raise elevation and the potential loss of Christmas Island as a fishing destination. I'm a non-affiliated voter and don't give a damn about political comments here.

Author unknown