Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consequence of Ocean Rise??....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Consequence of Ocean Rise??....

Was reading some news and found the following info about Christmas Island, taken from Facebook (source - The Guardian):

"Kiribati Will Lift Islands to Avoid Rising Sea

It’s just trying to keep its head above water. While a previous administration of the archipelago nation bought land in Fiji as a potential refuge if climate change makes Kiribati uninhabitable, current President Taneti Maamau’s new plan is to elevate the islands by dredging nearby waters for fill. Maamau, who’s seen as allied with China and was just reelected in June, says he won’t accept large loans or allow China to build a base on its strategically key Christmas Island, though China has funded similar infrastructure projects before to gain military access to other small countries."

The prospect of dredging the flats around Christmas Island is bad enough but having the Chinese government establish a military presence there, as well, is mind boggling....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The Chinese influence in the Pacific is truly cause for concern as they build their expansionist stepping stones, and their strategy is simple in it's execution. Build vital infrastructure like airports, harbors and roads, grant loans that third world countries can't repay, then take control of the asset in lieu.

To Australia's north, New Guinea is a perfect example...but re Kiribati, there are many islands in the Republic and C.I. is the prize as it's the biggest island, and rumors have circulated for some time that the Government wanted to move the capital from Tarawa to there. Logistically this would require a mammoth effort, and then there's the matter of a reliable water supply etc.Tarawa, as everyone knows, is an overcrowded and polluted s#####le. I think that the dredging you refer to applies to islands other than C.I. at this stage.

It's also common knowledge as Darian mentions, the new President is beholden to the Chinese. Here's an example. The Kiribati government asked their long-standing friend, Taiwan, for a new big plane. Taiwan replied they couldn't do it....enter China who said "no problem".....Allegiances quickly shifted. End of story.....well for now anyway. Be afraid...be very afraid.

Question Christmas Isl....

WOW!! Scary stuff indeed. Thanks for your insight. I suppose the same problems/threats are applicable to the Cook Islands??
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Much of the World believes that Communist China released COVID-19 on the entire World.

184 countries are all now in fear of China and many will be pulling back, if even slowly.

Communist China will now be slowly ratcheting down over the next decade.

China's huge emerging Middle Class wants what America has, a Democracy, so their Communism might collapse.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill,

Another good reason to vote for Trump - He won't take any shit from China.

Carl Blackledge

Darian,
    Good topic and thread.
    The LA Times recently ran an article about the rising sea levels and
    the ground water. I've included a link. Rising sea levels are also a concern
    for folks in the Marshall Islands with regards to a buried nuclear waste
    matter. Kinda strange how those that want to dismiss this issue yet forget
    that Trump has asked for permission to build sea walls at his
    Irish golf courses, claiming rising sea levels.
    Best to you and all Kiene members,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego
    https://phys.org/news/2020-08-califo...-safe-sea.html

I think God is to blame for the Climate changing, which effects the sea level.

The World's climate has been and will always will be changing/cycling.

With lots of Wars and a One World Order we will never get countries like China and India to go along with the Climate fix.

Why should the Untied States of America go bankrupt trying to alter the World's climate when other countries could care less.

There is little man can do that is economically feasible to alter the Climate, at least that is what they were teaching in the 1960s?

I would rather we went back to fighting pollution, which something that is feasible and practical.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default None

Larry S,.... Thanks for the link. Interesting read. I wonder if Christmas Island has any buried nuclear waste?? The Island was used as a test site for nuclear tests by the U.S. and later, the British.

During my last trip to the Island, there was a lot of development in the form of construction of some docks and the electrification of the settled areas. No dredging, yet. Roads were surfaced better than in past years, also. Maybe the money came from FDI by China??....

Author unknown

Have Any of you guys fished christmas island for GTs before? Sounds incredible. Is it wading flats from shore like bonefish or from a boat? 12 weight rods? Would love to experience that someday if i win the lottery, or maybe sea run browns in south america. Sad to think i may not have the opportunity to with rising oceans/climate change. Where else are they found other than christmas?