Thread: Top three books to own for tying Steelhead Spey flies?

Default Top three books to own for tying Steelhead Spey flies?

Hey folks! Hope everyone is keeping cool during this heatwave!!

So I ordered some spey flies off a site that really didn't give any detail at all about the pattern.

I'd like to start tying specifically for west coast steel and salmon, so I ask all of you, what should my top three books for tying spey flies be?

I also have an off topic question. I have a 13' 7wt and I ordered a 12' 10lb steelhead leader, will this be difficult to turn over at 12'? I have just been using...newb here btw: 1-2' of 12lb mono from my floating tip, followed with 3-4' of 4x tippet, sometimes 5-7'. So trying a 12' leader out is going to be all new to me. Thanks guys and ladies enjoy the heat

There's a million good sources online- I don't know if I'd buy a book frankly.

Modern Steelhead Flies by Jay Nicolas is a fine book. It's got great photos and detailed instructions plus it has materials lists for a number of flies that are currently in vogue and in use by some of the most avid steelheaders out there today. For "classic" steelhead Spey flies you might want something different.

Id highly recommend Classic Steelhead Flies by Jon Shewey. Absolutely beautiful book and great detailed history behind the patterns and early steelhead fisherman on the west coast. Lots of inspiration there from the famous old patterns and recipes are included in tbe back. I got my copy on sale from sportsmans warehouse for 20 bucks. As far as your leader question, what kind of head are you using? Is it for summer/fall steelhead or winter? For winter my leaders are 3-5’ straight 12 lb maxima to my sink tip, maybe 6-7’ if clear and low conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Id highly recommend Classic Steelhead Flies by Jon Shewey. Absolutely beautiful book and great detailed history behind the patterns and early steelhead fisherman on the west coast. Lots of inspiration there from the famous old patterns and recipes are included in tbe back. I got my copy on sale from sportsmans warehouse for 20 bucks. As far as your leader question, what kind of head are you using? Is it for summer/fall steelhead or winter? For winter my leaders are 3-5’ straight 12 lb maxima to my sink tip, maybe 6-7’ if clear and low conditions.
    Awesome, thanks for the info on the book! so the leader I ordered was going to be my leader for the fall/winter season. the idea of just running the momo maxima was my initial thought but I ordered it anyway. i am using a rio skagit max head i believe it is. got the rod used off ebay and can never properly remember the details on the line.

All of the John Shewey books are awesome, but probably the best for someone newer would be “Steelhead Flies” as there is more instructional info. The classics book is also great though, and his spey and dee flies ... lots of good stuff.

As for your leader questions, a 12’ leader isn’t that big of a deal on a 13’ rod (especially with modest sized flies summer/fall flies). For most of the rivers around here I tend to find there is a much bigger difference for “Winter” after about mid December, than there is between “summer” and “fall” fish. Just my personal taste and experiences, but I fish pretty similar equipment and smaller flies all the way through Thanksgiving (or later depending on water temps). Winter is a whole other deal entirely, with sink tips being pretty much standard.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Twowheelsonecamera View Post

I also have an off topic question. I have a 13' 7wt and I ordered a 12' 10lb steelhead leader, will this be difficult to turn over at 12'? I have just been using...newb here btw: 1-2' of 12lb mono from my floating tip, followed with 3-4' of 4x tippet, sometimes 5-7'. So trying a 12' leader out is going to be all new to me. Thanks guys and ladies enjoy the heat
    A good rule of thumb is that your total shooting head + sink tip/leader + tippet length should be ~3x the length of your rod.

So without knowing what shooting head you are throwing, a 12' leader is not going to cause you that many problems.

Now, a regular old mono leader with a big 20' skagit head might not cast very well.

A little specific for the great lakes, but has useful info about the setup. https://thenorthernangler.com/blogs/...swinging-flies

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    A good rule of thumb is that your total shooting head + sink tip/leader + tippet length should be ~3x the length of your rod.

So without knowing what shooting head you are throwing, a 12' leader is not going to cause you that many problems.

Now, a regular old mono leader with a big 20' skagit head might not cast very well.

A little specific for the great lakes, but has useful info about the setup. https://thenorthernangler.com/blogs/...swinging-flies
    The imow tips or mow tips then ur mono leader needs to go on there to work right no?