Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Half-pounders could be in the lower American river?

I have been living in Northern CA for about 8 years now. The weather has been unsteady that whole period. A few years ago we had almost 100F in March. Bad wildfire seasons off and on. The great deluge of the winter of 2018.

Back when I was a kid in the late 80's, early 90's I visited my grandparents in Manteca every summer in late July or early August for a couple of weeks each year. I always remember it was hot then too...bearable, but hot, so maybe I am just more annoyed by it as I get older. It wouldn't be the only thing that annoys me more than it used to

Last summer wasn't too bad, I recall that the summers of 17 and 18 were very hot, this year even worse it seems though with the inability to readily get away from it due to CV19 maybe I am just feeling/seeing it more first hand.

I definitely agree that there is less widespread winter fog in the valley on a YoY basis now than there was back then. When I was a kid we didn't visit too often in the winter, but when we did, I recall it being pea soup every day until at least early afternoon. Now, that almost never happens.

I think another thing we see (though the old timers would know better) is that there is now very little snow in the foothills compared to years past. I lived in Grass Valley the first 4 years after I moved here and it snowed measurably once or twice, old timers say that it used to snow 3-4x each winter.
    Last edited by PV_Premier; 08-16-2020 at 08:58 AM.

Ganna try watt this evening, swinging with the two hand spey. I typically go between gristmill and watt each day after work. It has been a while since visiting watt however. I know they pulled the trap out on right right of the island at watt. flows are meeting the averages, and water temp as of today checking it out online shows a steady 65 degrees. havent really seen much trout action the last few weeks going out. AM fishing has had much more... activity than the evening. took a friend out the other day to teach him some single spey and we were watching some slurping happen with very small mayflies sitting on top. only a single hit in these last two weeks while swinging nymphs via single spey. focusing this season on two handed spey and single spey. got two steelies last year using th 6wt sage x single hand, this year the goal is to find them using spey. it was about this time last year i could catch an abundant amount fry and smolts on the upstream side of watt bridge. sept things really picked up with smolt action and seeing the salmon start coming through. i dont know a ton, but i think if they can leave the flows alone, it would be a benefit to bringing steel and salmon through earlier, but if they keep adjusting things... i dont know, i really think it messes with things on the AR drastically.

side note, ive been stalking what i believe is the same big boy, at gristmill, river left obviously, each night at sunset you will see a single hunk come to the top and slurp, then hes gone. if anyone finds the beast id love to see a photo. ive stalked this spot for weeks now and cant get the tease to bite.

Just figured I'd give an update on the latest ventures. Spotted some "test redds" at watt as you cross to the island. Wasn't big enough or clean enough for a salmon redd but it definitely holds a nest look. Watch your steps as you wade the area folks. I almost walked through two side by side.