Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scandi/versileader question

Rio changed them to white if I recall... pretty lame.
    I’d go with the airflo poly leaders. They are clear.

I would not suggest a mono leader for your rage line.

These concepts are ALL about matching diameters. Suppleness also plays a major roll hear.
    The tip of the rage is still THICK. It is a “power scandi” or a “finesse skagit” in all reality.
    The poly leader or “Versi” leaders are also THICK at the rear. They match up nicely, plus the poly is a much closer match with the fly lines “suppleness”

The rage was designed for those types of leaders, and not so much for mono.

To transfer energy smoothly our lines must transition smoothly part to part (IE head to tip)

Your rods energy is going through from a thick rage head than suddenly Transferring to a much much thinner and stiffer section of mono, say 15ft 20lb tapered Mono leader will not transfer energy nearly as well.

This is not to say it can’t be done.

But your on the right track with the rage and a poly leader.
    Those 12lb will be just fine, especially on the Klammy.

Stick with 10fters and keep 3-5ft 10lb maxima danglin off that, and you will be good to go
    For a long time.
    These leaders will also translate to true Scandi eventually, which will slowly bring you back full circle when your go back to mono and start building 18ft tapers!

A tippet ring on the end of the VL also makes tippet changes easy and longevity of the VL much improved.

great info thanks very much acsoby7. pv premier was thinking about tippet rings, good idea thank you.

I just make a loop knot at the end of the versileader. Then everything is loop to loop if you need to change IPS or change to a follow-up fly quickly.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

The appointment status will appear in the Calendar and on the Appointment settings. You can either approve or decline the appointment. You can also specify a default duration for the appointment https://mlsdev.com/blog/how-to-build...e-from-scratch This will promote compliance and reduce the amount of time your staff needs to spend on scheduling. You can add or delete different types of appointments in Appointment settings.
    Last edited by kevins; 09-21-2022 at 02:19 AM.

Wonderful feedback here....

As 'richr' recommended, for those "new to two-handed fly casting" is to get an Airflo 'Rage' floating head first.

Have someone in a fly shop, like Andy Guibord @ Kiene's, get you the right size for your two-handed fly rod.

A few years back I had a nice 12'6" #6 Spey rod with maybe a Rio WindCutter line on it?

I was very new to all this and had a terrible time with that line.

Tournament Spey Caster Doug Duncan was working at our shop and he helped me get an Airflo Rage floating head, the right size, on my

reel. I went down to the American by myself and pick up maybe 15 to 20 feet instantly and felt so much better about my Spey casting.

I recommend floating running lines rather than some kind of mono shooting line. Mono gives you another 10 feet instantly but I hate it.

If you fish Half-pounders and adult Steelhead you have to get into the Spey/Two-handed fishing.

Be sure to have someone set you up with a good "balanced " outfit at first so it will cast well.

Get some instruction and go to Gristmill access or where every the Spey crowd is meeting on the American.

You need a smaller, lighter two-handed fly rod for Half-pounders. They don't even bend a 12'6" #6 line Spey rod.

Timing is perfect......Sept/Oct/Nov is all good.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Wonderful feedback here....

As 'richr' recommended, for those "new to two-handed fly casting" is to get an Airflo 'Rage' floating head first.

Have someone in a fly shop, like Andy Guibord @ Kiene's, get you the right size for your two-handed fly rod.

A few years back I had a nice 12'6" #6 Spey rod with maybe a Rio WindCutter line on it?

I was very new to all this and had a terrible time with that line.

Tournament Spey Caster Doug Duncan was working at our shop and he helped me get an Airflo Rage floating head, the right size, on my

reel. I went down to the American by myself and pick up maybe 15 to 20 feet instantly and felt so much better about my Spey casting.

I recommend floating running lines rather than some kind of mono shooting line. Mono gives you another 10 feet instantly but I hate it.

If you fish Half-pounders and adult Steelhead you have to get into the Spey/Two-handed fishing.

Be sure to have someone set you up with a good "balanced " outfit at first so it will cast well.

Get some instruction and go to Gristmill access or where every the Spey crowd is meeting on the American.

You need a smaller, lighter two-handed fly rod for Half-pounders. They don't even bend a 12'6" #6 line Spey rod.

Timing is perfect......Sept/Oct/Nov is all good.

I got that rod off you a few years (6-7 now?) had the shop set it up and its been a great AR shad rod. I agree its heavy for half pounders.

So of course then I got a 3 wt then I needed a 5. and

and
    and

Its Like a drug... first taste is free, after that you gotta pay!

Rio and Airflo both make "Poly/Versi" leaders.

Many do use the floating Airflo Poly leaders because they are clear.

Some say the Rio Versi leaders are more durable?

In the Fall now many are fishing on top with skaters and damps wets.

I know that Spey experts Jason Hartwick and Al Perryman are using Scandi floating heads and long leader into November now.

With that Airflo Rage as a starter line you could use an Airflo floating clear Poly leader and then some mono after that.

As you improve your two-handed casting skills you might want to move to a Scandi floating head for the Fall.

I love your post Mr T.........

"I got that rod off you a few years (6-7 now?) had the shop set it up and its been a great AR shad rod. I agree its heavy for half pounders.

So of course then I got a 3 wt then I needed a 5. and

and
    and"
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........