Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wyoming is special

Default Wyoming is special

Hey all,

Relocated to Casper, Wyoming a few weeks ago. Have had some incredible adventures locally and throughout the state. The local spot on the North Platte river about 2 miles from the house holds some great browns and rainbows. About 25 min west toward the dams the fishing greatly improves. The average trout is about 16” with 18-20” pretty regular. I have found a few spots that are insane and provided an entire days worth of fish out of one small bucket. The Platte fish are great biters, but my typical go to of a rubber legs and flashback PT in California don’t play. They are pretty fly specific.

Found an amazing canyon that is very remote but within 2 hours of the house. Pretty gnarly scramble descent using finger canyons into the main canyon. 300 ft tall canyon walls rim you in. Feels like going back in time. The river is very small, think something like Squaw Valley creek or the South Fork American near the summit. But here the avg fish size again is incredible. Most are 14-17” and found a few up to and over 20”.

Took a trip to the west side of the state to find some native cutthroat and was rewarded with panoramic views, eager cutties and a pretty eye opening bear encounter.

To put it simply, between Alaska, South America and anywhere else I fished, Wyoming is #1.

Make sure and post a report in Jan/February. Wyoming is a beautiful state but -20 with a good stiff wind can take some fun out it!

I am going to Wyoming next week. The plan is to hike Green River Lakes To Big Sandy. Big mountains but likely not big fish.

Taylor,
    Any plans for winter fishing? My home state of Fishigan has a number of trout streams open year-round.

John H,
    Looking forward to your report.

Best to all,
    Stay safe and keep laughing.
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

During that time of year I’ll be either working hard enough that I’ll be sweating in that weather, or bundled up in my gore Tex and in a tracked side by side looking for shed antler. No such thing as bad weather, just shitty clothing!

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I am going to Wyoming next week. The plan is to hike Green River Lakes To Big Sandy. Big mountains but likely not big fish.
    Are you accepting requests? If so, I really enjoy your underwater photography. Your photos from your hike into the Emigrant Wilderness comes to mind and seeing the fish suspended underwater was too cool.

Safe travels.

There is a Lake in the Wind River Mountains that supposedly has 20” Goldens but the location is a big secret. It is referred to as Flying Monkey Lake. If anyone knows where it is send me a PM and maybe I will come back with a nice shot of a 20” golden.

John H,
    Near Pinedale? Careful, that's grizzly territory.
    Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    There is a Lake in the Wind River Mountains that supposedly has 20” Goldens but the location is a big secret. It is referred to as Flying Monkey Lake. If anyone knows where it is send me a PM and maybe I will come back with a nice shot of a 20” golden.
    If only there was a backpacking/fly shop with loose lips in the closest town you could call... Green River lakes has been an utter shitshow, as is everywhere out here at the moment. Cool country.

Wyoming has cool parts and not so cool parts, and they ain't always where you would think. Congrats on the move and new career Tayler.

Aaron I will be avoiding anything around the park and Cody like the plague. I’d prefer to be alone anyways. Plenty of animals without having to deal with the traffic and yuppies.