Thread: wet wading socks

Default wet wading socks

anyone using neoprene wading socks for wet wading? hows it working? looking to buy some.

I have a pair of fleece lined neoprene socks used for wet wading. I love them. I got them at Sportsman's Warehouse... I think they were branded "Caddis" and were about $20. I have about 15 days on them and they appear like new.

John

Default Wet Wading Socks??

Do these socks have some type of sole attached??
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I use them inside a conventional wading boot when I am wading without waders. They are a sock, not a slip on shoe-sock with a sole.

John

I can only speak for the salt and wear Pataginia neoprene socks.These are long and fold down over Simms boots then hook onto the bottom laces.Very comfortable and keep out Coral bits,sand and other nasties found in the tropics.

Yes, most people who wet wade wear these neoprene booties/socks then wading boots on top of them. Some people wear a fabric sock underneath the wading sock, some do not.

The function of the neoprene wading sock is threefold - 1) helps keep your feet a little warmer if the water is chilly but still warm enough to wet wade 2) keeps the gravel out if they are equipped with gravel guards and 3) helps the wading boot fit more snugly than it would w/ a regular sock alone, since most of us buy our wading boots to fit over the bulky wader foot.

As mentioned, wading socks are NOT a substitute for boots. They are a supplement.

Most fly fishing brands make these...simms, Patagonia, korkers, etc.

I buy new ones every two years and buy whatever brand is cheapest at the time. They wear out and they also get stinky, so after two years it is time to throw them out and buy new ones.

Just bought Patagonia ones in sun valley , I'd have got the $25 Simms ones but we're sold out.

Worn the Patagonia ones twice, they've been great and have gravel guards which I handy. They're $45.

I've been using WetSox for the past couple of years and just tore mine recently. They have 1mm neoprene embedded inside some sort of slick nylon fabric. I use them inside my summer wading boots and wading sandals which are both a size smaller than the winter setup. They are very thin and also work as socks inside your waders when the water is cold. As an added plus if you get water in your waders they still work well and don't get soggy like wool socks.

I recently ordered a new "Gen II" pair and I'm waiting to receive them. The company name is now WORN instead of WetSox. The marketing literature says that the inside lining is upgraded and the neoprene is 1.5 mm.

For deodorizing neoprene this stuff is great: GEAR AID Revivex Odor Eliminator.

Worn "wet socks " 1mil thick is what we bought. now just to go fish. thanks for the info George

Love the ones i have from Korkers. I wear the 3.5m I drain neoprene gravel sock. No more mushy toes from neoprene socks not draining.

Mind you I wear a 10.5 normal shoe so I have a sz10 devils canyon for wet wading and these socks stated above. Sz11 terra ridge for non winter socks and waders and then sz12 k5 bomber for winter socks and waders. I can also wear the 3.5mil neoprene gravel sock and the 2.5mil wading sock combined and they fit great into my sz11 wading boot.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer