Thread: Feather Chinook Run

Default Feather Chinook Run

When does the fall run start on the Feather? When is the peak and when is it over? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noyo55 View Post
    When does the fall run start on the Feather? When is the peak and when is it over? Thanks
    I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but the "run" will start when BuRec releases water from Oroville Dam into the river via Thermalito Outlet. It may be late September when they have to.............

It's expected to be a higher than normal return of Fall fish, but flows are only 2,500 now and the river temperature is 70+.

Water flows least with regards to the fisherman. BuRec is more than welcome to chime in and say that they do take into consideration sport fishing when it comes to scheduling water releases on the Feather or any of the other rivers.

At the very least, the water release will occur when it's time to draw fish up to the hatchery to meet spawn escapement number. Water will flow down the actual river channel to draw fish up to the hatchery instead of holding their progress at Thermalito.

Flows not withstanding, the fish would normally begin to show in Mid August with most of the fish "fooled" into holding at Thermalito until they are drawn upriver to the hatchery.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 08-05-2020 at 03:33 PM.

I went out to the Feather a couple weeks ago for a Salmon scouting trip and there’s salmon in the river already. Majority haven’t showed and they’re being caught in the Sac river lower the delta and higher on the sac. They’re here. When it gets cooler the fish will show.

I'd be willing to bet most of those fish you're seeing are dark and simply late spring run fish.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    I'd be willing to bet most of those fish you're seeing are dark and simply late spring run fish.
    Tony
    I agree. That's exactly what they are..............

Do you happen to know what the plans are with regards to separation of the early or normal Spring fish vs. the late arrivers (July)? Is there a project to re-establish/create a distinct Spring run similar to the Rogue or Willamette or Columbia? The Columbia Springers (black faced) are regarded as the best eating Salmon on earth......

Will there be a Spring season on the Feather again someday? Dreaming?

Sure was fun fishing in early June for Springers with Snowpack runoff and flows.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 08-10-2020 at 03:22 PM.