Thread: Ross Gunnison G-2 Pre 1998 Original Owner

Default Ross Gunnison G-2 Pre 1998 Original Owner

SOLD--Original owner, new (from Bill) in 1996, very little use for the last 10 years. Just got it back from Ross Reels, cleaned and updated parts as needed, have receipt.

Mechanically the reel is now like new. Cosmetically it's very good, but does have a bit of reel rash one would expect for a 24 year old reel. Selling because I'm fishing almost exclusively sinking lines, and prefer a large arbor.

This reel needs no introduction; it was probably the reel that set the standard for enclosed drags and bombproof build and lifetime customer service. I cannot think of a finer company than Ross Reels. Ross will inspect your reel for $30, and test, adjust, and replace anything even remotely worn, never have seen a charge.

I don't care if you're a teen--this reel will outlive you.

The reel includes fresh backing, but no lines.

SOLD local pickup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G-2 Reel Front.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	15943

Name:	G-2 Reel Back.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	15944

Name:	G-2 Reel Insides.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	15945
    Last edited by JAWallace; 08-05-2020 at 12:26 PM. Reason: sold

About 20 years ago this was the top selling high end #5/6 line fly reel.......the Ross Gunnison 2 fly reel.

Most fly shops sold this as the most "bomb proof" fly reel of it's day.

**The Ross Rep told me that The Fly Shop, Fly Fishing Outfitters and Kiene's Fly Shop sold a "ton" of Ross Gunnison reels.

They naturally discontinued the Gunnison and I wondered why Ross had not used that name which was iconic?

I see that they finally using the name Gunnison again on a new series of fly reels.

http://www.rossreels.com/gunnison-2018.html
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill, do you remember the retail price for a G-2 back in the 90s? Might have been around $100, not sure. This one sold for twice that on eBay in just a few hours. A testament to how quality products can often hold value. It's like a Boston Whaler--you won't lose money if you hold them long enough.

The new Gunnisons have received nothing but strong reviews, plus they are now large arbor, but at $395 now I'd opt for another Galvin--still my favorite.

I think they sold for $129.95.. I had two of each size. They were definitely a great reel. I met Ross and Susie Hauck at the San Mateo show when they first brought out their reels. I was interested in the Ross S-2 reel. It had a solid frame and spool a large arbor and weighed very little. Then Ross as me to throw it up in the air and let it bounce on the pavement. I wasn't quite sure of what he was getting at but did it anyway. It bounced around and didn't get a ding in the finish or hurt the reel.
    Then they moved from Etna, CA to Gunnision, CO due to CA taxing the hell out to them
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221