567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I know I'm beating a dead horse; but if you like this then check out a Porta-bote.

Lighter, easier to car top, semi-V design, positive flotation even when swamped. Folds flat like a surfboard; I car top my 12 ft model on top of a Nissan Versa 5 door. easy to launch anywhere. Look for semi-annual sales; cheaper than what's shown for the Mini-drifter. 13-15 mph with a 5 hp for the 12 ft model and I weigh 315#. I can stand and fly cast in a chop; well, I did 15 yrs ago, maybe not now. My balance is shot. I lip 5 # bass with a fly rod, but a net is much easier. Set-up is about 15 minutes after a short learning curve; although Luke; the demonstrator, does it in under 5 minutes. It handles chop well and rows like a dream; but spend an extra $25 bucks for a set of bass Pro oarlocks.

I am with you McFish on the Porta-Bote.....

https://www.porta-bote.com/?gclid=Cj...vsrefdom=p.417

I studied them in depth some years ago.

I think they are in the Bay area somewhere?

I think they make an 8, 10, 12 and newest 14 models.

The 12 foot was their top seller.

Other than a mushy floor, most who have them, love them.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Yikes! T&M have skyrocketed! But, I'm still stuck with pricing from 25 years ago........... I'm now one of the old fuddy-duddies <sigh>

I have the latest generation Porta-bote, 14' model. I've been very happy with it, but I did have to make some plywood floorboards to make standing easier for flycasting. I've taken it into lakes, the delta, Monterey Bay, and even Half Moon Bay when the wind/swell is low.

Porta-bote HQ is in Mountain View, and they are made in Gilroy, CA. For the price of a top of the line kayak, I can take my entire family out fishing!

The "mushy floor" is part of what makes the boat unique. The hull is a polycarbonate that flexes yet is very durable. This makes the hinges work so the boat can be folded flat to a surfboard shape. The hull does flex; so at speed much of the force from the hull banging into choppy waves (that beats your teeth loose in a tin boat) is dissipated by the "mushy" hull. Yes, it takes a little experience to gain confidence in it; yes,it is safe and waterproof. I had the old version for over 20 years,and the newer version for 4 years; no problem with either. Feel free to PM me about any questions, especially safety/floatability issues.