Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Creek

I was at Yellow Creek in late June 2019. I caught a couple of small browns in the meadow right off the main road. At that time, they were just getting ready to open up the campground for use. It looked like it was in good shape with a husband and wife team of camp hosts in attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by loose_shoes View Post
    From what I understand fishing is essentially 'zilch' on Yellow Creek nowadays.

There are probably many interlocking and complicated reasons for the situation but here is one possible piece of the puzzle.

The trout conservation groups some years ago put up a fence along Yellow Creek to keep the cows out of the stream and improve the habitat. Great! It worked perfectly. No more cows and no more stream degradation and all the problems that come with large livestock smashing through small streams.

However, our old friend, the Law of Unintended Consequences came to extract his due.

That big, beautiful bovine-baffling barrier provided the perfect environment for our avian pals to gather for a picnic. All those fence posts and the long, straight wires between them just a few yards from the stream gave every insect eating bird a made-to-order perch to pick off any and all bugs that had the bad luck to get anywhere near the creek. It wasn't too many seasons before the insect population in Yellow Creek could no longer sustain itself and collapsed and that likely took the fish population down as collateral damage.

Well, that's the theory anyway. I guess it just goes to show that sometimes well-intentioned, single-solution conservation ain't so simple.
    Great report!

Gene

Default Check campground status before heading for the hills.

A friend and I were in the Lake Almanor area on Saturday and saw a sign along Highway 89 near Prattville indicating that the Yellow Creek campground was still closed. Closures apparently also remain in effect for a number of other campgrounds in the area - only about 50% were shown as NOT being "temporarily closed" by Google maps, including the one on the North Fork of the Feather upstream from Chester where we were planning to camp. We ended up camping downstream of Caribou on the North Fork instead, with lots of company.

I’m still planning a trip up to check it out. It was delayed because I got covid. Now I’m all better and my anti-bodies and I will be out in early Sept. I’ll report back.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

good luck waiting to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Morrison View Post
    I’m still planning a trip up to check it out. It was delayed because I got covid. Now I’m all better and my anti-bodies and I will be out in early Sept. I’ll report back.
    Glad to hear you are doing better, any idea how you contracted it (if you don’t mind me asking)?
    Best of luck
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Glad to hear you are doing better, any idea how you contracted it (if you don’t mind me asking)?
    Best of luck
    JB
    I'm an airline pilot. Probably from someone I flew with. But really your guess is as good as mine.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    605-858-0800
    www.classicpowellrod.com

All right - finally got up to Yellow Creek earlier this week. Unfortunately it was smoky as heck. I saw no signs that the Maidu tribe are changing anything. The campground was indeed closed but I went down and drove through it and it looks as though it was open at some point this year - including some Covid-19 signage about distancing etc.

The creek is still beautiful. Great flows and great cover - it looks fishy as all get out. I saw fish - the largest being about 12”. I caught two - a small brookie and a 10” par marked rainbow. Both on a small streamer. There were no rising fish. But there is so much cover over the creek that there could be a lot of big fish in there and you would never know or be able to get to them. I’d bet nighttime fishing there might be very productive. Despite the smoke it was still gorgeous down there.
    Last edited by Rich Morrison; 09-17-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Rich Morrison
    605-858-0800
    www.classicpowellrod.com

thanks Rich

Anyone else been up through here lately?

Rich Morrison
    605-858-0800
    www.classicpowellrod.com