Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Yellow Creek

My point is that the structures have been installed where there is no incision and erosion and the damaged stream is actually above the spring creek portion.

Here is the upper incised and eroded section just below the bridge. Note the dry state of the surrounding pasture and absence of any streamside foliage. This is the area that desperately needs attention.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Creek below bridge.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	17136

And here is the healthy, already restored spring creek section below the junction with the upper freestone stream.

Name:	Spring creek above cmpgd.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	364.0 KB 
ID:	17138
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spring creek above cmpgd.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	17137  
    Last edited by bearflag; 06-26-2021 at 12:23 PM.

Default Yellow Creek

Pure speculation on my part but it seems to me that with the number of the artificial Beaver dams planned (according to the article) maybe the entire creek or streamed will have the structures installed. I have no access to the Maidu plan for the creek so take this comment for what it's worth.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

To me, the channel still looks a bit too incised and straight in both above and below the bridge. I would expect a creek in a meadow like that to be much more meandering and have multi threaded channels in part. I would also expect to see more creeklets meandering through the meadow. Raising the water table in the valley would definitely help in those regards.

I've attached a couple examples of creeks/rivers that exhibit more sinuous channels like you would expect in a meadow headwaters. It is hard to find intact meadows in headwaters because they are usually prime grazing habitat.

Name:	UpperTruckee.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	261.8 KB 
ID:	17143

Name:	wood.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	17144

Name:	carson.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	17145
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov

Great stuff here folks! Bearflag - nice example with the satellite imagery. What is the source of the creek above the road? I’ve never been on that side - I always thought it was all private with no access. Let’s hope this plan works well.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

It's not fenced in upstream from the road so I've always assumed its USFS. Poked around up there few times over the years catching the odd small brookie. Way upstream above Humboldt Rd is also interesting. Fished up there as well before it suffered hugely from landslides during the '97 New Year storms. Creek drainage goes way back up there into a canyon. Forest Service built several check dams up there post storm which certainly stop fish from getting up there. Look on Google Earth for lots of detail, search for Longville, Ca to get into Humbug Valley. Will be very interesting to watch the creek change with the BDAs.
    Last edited by bearflag; 07-02-2021 at 03:27 PM.