Thread: Chasing Paper: A Fish Report

Default Chasing Paper: A Fish Report

Most of my fly fishing trips are focused more on a wide variety of salmonids instead of huge numbers or size of the fish. Fortunately, there are several Fish and Wildlife departments in the western states of this country that encourage anglers to go to their state and fish for the variety salmonids within their borders. The latest state to launch one of these programs is New Mexico. So, since I am such a fool for a program like this, I bought a license online, packed my gear and hit the highway. Arizona has one of these programs as well, so I purchased one of their licenses too, hoping to earn both certificates in one trip.

Arizona was my first stop, but the very DAY that I got there, the USFS decided to close the entire Tonto National Forest to all recreation due to high fire danger. That meant zero access to any streams, roads, trails, campgrounds, etc. I can understand the extreme fire risks in a very dry state like Arizona, but I’m not sure how I’m going to start a fire by going fishing. The real bummer for me is that most of the streams that I planned to fish for their trout certificate were in that forest. Anyhow, I regrouped and headed further east to the Apache Sitgreaves NF in the far east of the state and was elated to find that it was still open. I found a small lake with a nice calibaetis hatch going off and some very willing grayling that were smacking any dry fly that I would fling out on the water.

Since my goal of accomplishing the Arizona Trout Challenge was scuttled, I decided to head into New Mexico, into the Gila Wilderness, for their native Gila trout. Not a huge specimen, but one down, four to go.

I headed north east from there and on the way passed the VLA (Very Large Array) of 27 huge satellites aimed at the sky, trying to pick up on any interstellar radio signals.

Later, I arrived at my first river in the north and quickly caught one of these:

I was pleased that I had my second trout down, but it appears that many NM streams are lousy with browns and I caught MANY more of them in streams that were supposed to hold other species. They apparently get in the water a quickly out compete other fish and take over.

Still, I was persistent and caught two more on the list, the rainbow trout and the Rio Grande cutthroat

It took some local intel to get me to a stream that held the final salmonid that I needed, not a true trout per se, but a charr.

Job done!

While chasing paper is fun in its own way, a big part of going fishing for me is slowing down, relaxing and enjoying the scenery, the atmosphere and the beauty of nature

One thing I really appreciate about the southwestern states is their sunrises and sunsets. They just seem more spectacular than they do here. I heard it has something to do with the very dry air.

I accomplished half of my goal, but fortunately my Arizona license is good until July 4th of 2021, so perhaps some time in the spring, before it gets too hot and dry, I’ll venture down there again and make a second attempt at earning that piece of paper from Arizona Fish and Game. We’ll see...
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

You are a man with a mission. It is good to have a mission in life. Nice job getting out there and putting a post together. Thanks.

I fished the Rio Grande near Taos once. Quite a deep canyon and the fishing was pretty good for browns and rainbows. I fished the Black River in Arizona once for smallmouth. I would like to do that again.

Beautiful pictures, thanks for a great report. Very funny to see the grayling pics, i know where that is! i got to fish that pond 7 years ago on my drive back from colorado visiting my uncle. I stopped and fished in apache-sitgreaves, main purpose other than wanting to see the mountains of northern az was to catch an apache trout...hAd a similar experience in hooking a lot of browns when what i was really after was the apache trout. That grayling pond was fun, had it to myself on my float tube hooking a ton of grayling on dries until a thunder storm came in...also was the only time ive seen a wolf in the wild. Was driving my truck on a forest service rd, had to slam on my brakes for a hare that was racing across the rd, following close behind was one of those mexican red wolves they reintroduced to apache NF sometime ago, absolutely beautiful animal

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Also was the only time I've seen a wolf in the wild. Was driving my truck on a forest service rd, had to slam on my brakes for a hare that was racing across the rd, following close behind was one of those mexican red wolves they reintroduced to apache NF sometime ago, absolutely beautiful animal
    That is AWESOME! I saw the signs saying that it was a wolf reintroduction area, but I didn't think much about it. I would absolutely LOVE to see one of those wolves in the wild. I got a glimpse of one in Yellowstone NP once, but your experience sounds so much better. That is a really beautiful part of the Grand Canyon State.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

The title of this post could be....."Why we fly fish."

Wild trout are so beautiful.

Thanks for a 5 star post.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Very nice trip report Dave.

I, for one, enjoy trip reports with pictures, wherever the destination may be.

Thank you, thank you, thank you................................

I guess I'm going to have to bust out the credit card and purchase a camera so I can post some pictures too.

Bob

Great report and beautiful fish

Thank you very much fly guy Dave. With your post, photos included, you made us all travel and fish with you in this wonderful trip.

Hi Dave, thanks for sharing your report. Congrats on completing your NM certificate - seems like there is a new wild trout challenge each year. Enjoy your second trip to Arizona - went there a few years ago to complete my last state certificate and there are some beautiful country and wild trout populations.