Thread: Wolf Creek trip

Default Wolf Creek trip

My dog and I are planning a camping and fishing trip up to Wolf Creek campground this weekend. I haven’t spent much time at all fishing the high elevation creeks yet so I’m excited. Any tips for this time of year up there?

Wife-unit, dogs, and I spent 4th of July weekend camped out along Dixon Mine Rd (between Wolf Creek and EFC). Fished WC one afternoon/evening about a mile above the confluence with EFC (but below WC Meadow and the campground)... water was pretty warm, and very low... only caught a couple teeny-weeny rainbows.

The next day we hiked about a mile up the canyon of the EFC (towards Greys Crossing) and the deeper pools held some really nice fish... didn't catch anything on my go-to flies (heavy beadhead stones and caddis)... the nicest rainbow I caught (maybe 14 inches is being generous) were on size 18 midges... go figure... the largest fish that I saw do a drive-by on my flies were pushing 20 inches.

The EFC was crisp/cold in the morning, and by 5 pm had me thinking I should stop fishing because it was like bathwater. Too warm.

No fish pics... but wife got some great frolicking dog photos.

Ran into a few people wearing waders over the course of the weekend... they were miserable and looked silly. Wet wading is the way to go this time of year.

John

Mosquito dry fly! Not the Black Gnat Mosquito but the “Sierra” one, gray body. I remember that working well up there. I'm heading back up to backpack on the east side this weekend, one of my favorite lakes at 8,500’ was warm as a bathtub in late June with the poor snow pack so I'm heading high to another lake at 10,500’. Crazy how much it varies year to year.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Wife-unit, dogs, and I spent 4th of July weekend camped out along Dixon Mine Rd (between Wolf Creek and EFC). Fished WC one afternoon/evening about a mile above the confluence with EFC (but below WC Meadow and the campground)... water was pretty warm, and very low... only caught a couple teeny-weeny rainbows.

The next day we hiked about a mile up the canyon of the EFC (towards Greys Crossing) and the deeper pools held some really nice fish... didn't catch anything on my go-to flies (heavy beadhead stones and caddis)... the nicest rainbow I caught (maybe 14 inches is being generous) were on size 18 midges... go figure... the largest fish that I saw do a drive-by on my flies were pushing 20 inches.

The EFC was crisp/cold in the morning, and by 5 pm had me thinking I should stop fishing because it was like bathwater. Too warm.

No fish pics... but wife got some great frolicking dog photos.

Ran into a few people wearing waders over the course of the weekend... they were miserable and looked silly. Wet wading is the way to go this time of year.

John
    I’ve noticed on my OnX map, most of the meadow downstream of the campground is private land. Is that still fishable?

The meadow area is all fenced... not sure if it is private or if just fenced for grazing purposes, but there is hardly any water in there this year, and there are two or three gorgeous cabins right next to the meadow, so if there are fish there, it probably gets fished often by the people that own those cabins. Just a short hike up or down stream and you will be away from the fenced area, in areas of higher gradient and slightly deeper water (like 6 inches versus 2 inches).

Have a good trip!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    The meadow area is all fenced... not sure if it is private or if just fenced for grazing purposes, but there is hardly any water in there this year, and there are two or three gorgeous cabins right next to the meadow, so if there are fish there, it probably gets fished often by the people that own those cabins. Just a short hike up or down stream and you will be away from the fenced area, in areas of higher gradient and slightly deeper water (like 6 inches versus 2 inches).

Have a good trip!
    I got to wolf creek campground around 5 on Friday and fished the upstream side of the meadow until sunset. Caught two small brookies on a small caddis dry fly. Got up early Saturday and hit the entire meadow until 2pm. Switched to a big hopper fly and started catching them under just about every ledge or log. Caught 11 brook trout, all about 6 inches long. Stunning views up there and constant action. Had a blast.