Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lower Sac in a 8’ Pontoon?

Anyone float it at 5-12k in an 8-10ft pram?
    I did from Posse Grounds to Anderson in a 12 ft Portabote with two passengers at 5k and except for the pucker at the chute at the island it was easy peasy.
    Last edited by Steve S; 07-10-2020 at 10:58 PM.

I would drift it in a boat to familiarize yourself with the water first. I have drifted from Posse to Jelly's Ferry many times, I have not gone to Red Bluff. Most of the river is easy but as others noted, there are some tough spots. We saw a guy in a kayak get into trouble in March or April in the whirlpool below Bonneyview. There are tough corners just above Bonneyview, just below Anderson, and in some of the side channels and it wouldn't take much to get into trouble if you are not experienced.

Also, you MUST wear a PFD! My son and I took out at Anderson in March when the dive team was looking for the guy who drowned. It is a big river and the water is cold so even if you are a strong swimmer like the guy who drowned, it is very different in the current and cold water.

Finally, a lot of the river is private property. I have not checked out camping spots, but have a plan before you go. Lots of homeless people near Cypress and Bonneyview in Redding, farther upstream than you would be stopping, and it gets more rural as you go downstream. I don't know the situation closer to Red Bluff. There are some islands along the way you could probably camp on, but I don't know if they are too rocky and brushy to sleep. Don't trespass and please clean up after yourself and leave no trace

We rescued an overnight canoeist two weeks ago just below Clear Creek. He was going to Red Bluff with two buddies in yaks.

I didn't mention it when I replied originally.

On my first toon float on the sac we went all the way to Anderson.

Was dark by time we got off and very nearly missed the ramp - would been major issue if we had.

So I'd focus on the shorter floats - and fish the key sections from shore or wading next to boat.