Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fall, McCloud, Hat, Etc...?

Thanks Bob, that gives me hope and I agree about the area with the added western edge of the McCloud and the Upper Sacramento it is my "go to" world away from the coast....the troutless coast.

With the new surge in viral crap I am now aiming for a fall trip to the area. Even though when I travel to fish I interact with very few people it just seems best to not test fate.

Lassen, Modoc, Shasta area has the lowest infection rates in the State. I don't think Modoc has had a reported infection yet, so you'll be safe....just make sure you don't bring it with you!
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

I’ll be hitting the McCloud for 5 days in two weeks. We bought a travel camper in March and broke it in two weeks ago at PC resort (I wouldn’t recommend it). Can’t wait to be up around McCloud and all those rivers.

One reason the McCloud river might be good mid-Summer is the fact that the water is very cold.

The Upper Sac is usually slow July through September unless they have a huge snow pack.

"Much of the McCloud’s flow comes from springs fed by glaciers and snow on Mt. Shasta. "

https://www.calwild.org/portfolio/fa...mccloud-river/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Lassen, Modoc, Shasta area has the lowest infection rates in the State. I don't think Modoc has had a reported infection yet, so you'll be safe....just make sure you don't bring it with you!
    And that is exactly the reason I am not traveling yet!
    I have not even been "over the hill" to Ukiah or Sonoma since March, but from the looks of the crowds on the coast over the pat 45 days I would guess others do not feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by BobVP View Post
    I have not even been "over the hill" to Ukiah or Sonoma since March, but from the looks of the crowds on the coast over the pat 45 days I would guess others do not feel the same.
    I NEEDED to go fishing BAD and had the trip booked long before COVID so I got tested before leaving and was negative, so felt OK about going.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by BobVP View Post
    If you research this virus it’s been proven that it immediately dies in UV light and temps 70 degrees and up. I believe this is on the CDC website. The best thing you can do is be outside. Most people contract it from being indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    If you research this virus it’s been proven that it immediately dies in UV light and temps 70 degrees and up. I believe this is on the CDC website. The best thing you can do is be outside. Most people contract it from being indoors.
    This isn't entirely correct. COVID does die when exposed to high intensity UV, much higher than typical sunlight, which is why it is used to sterilize things. Multiple factors affect COVID longevity outdoors including sunlight intensity, humidity, and length of exposure. The 70 degree number is correct, but that value is for degrees Celsius, not Fahrenheit. Pretty big distinction. That being said, fishing and camping are about as low-risk as you can get.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtopher View Post
    This isn't entirely correct. COVID does die when exposed to high intensity UV, much higher than typical sunlight, which is why it is used to sterilize things. Multiple factors affect COVID longevity outdoors including sunlight intensity, humidity, and length of exposure. The 70 degree number is correct, but that value is for degrees Celsius, not Fahrenheit. Pretty big distinction. That being said, fishing and camping are about as low-risk as you can get.

Yup missed the Celsius. My fault. Still, the death rate is way lower than projected unless your really unhealthy. I say live you’re life and be outdoors which has shown to be low risk. Makes me wonder why they’d close outdoor areas to keep us more contained to spread the disease.
    Last edited by Rossflyguy; 07-24-2020 at 06:44 PM.