Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time in a pontoon

I have fished many times from my 8ft. Pontoon on the Yuba and the only time I use my oars is at the take out. I have caught many fish as I`m floating, using my fins. I will kick to the shore to land them if they are of any size. There are two or three spots that you need to kick a little harder to keep you out of the trees though. Other than that it's a great time on the water, especially this time of year where waders are not needed, which IMO is safer anyway. It is a good idea having a buddy along in case of any trouble.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5032.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	15879

Knowing what I have, I just got the Minn Kota C2-30 and have not had it in the water yet. Wondering it it is powerful enough, or should I have got a more powerful one.

Last year I bought a Sea Eagle Packfish 7. I have taken it out on the Lower American & Lower Yuba. So far I can only catch fish standing in the river. No way I can control my inflatable in moving water. I do use an anchor, but I make sure I stop somewhere I won't have difficult access. One more thing I would add is to take your time on the water. If you hear rapids, slow down & scout the direction you will have to take. One last thing, wear a life vest.