Thread: 200 lb. Tuna and 18 wt. Fly Rods

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile 200 lb. Tuna and 18 wt. Fly Rods

A few days ago I received an order for one of my stripping baskets from a guide on the East Coast. He said one of his customers had knocked his over-board and lost it.

Being he lives in Mass., I immediately asked about how striped fishing was. He responded with a "really good", but he added that they've been getting Bluefin tuna as well. He said his record fish was right at #200 lbs.

I wanted to clarify, "Was this on a fly ?" " Absolutely" he replied. He uses a custom Biscayne Bay 18 wt. fly rod with RIO Leviathon line that has the heavier core, and not being IGFA he uses straight #60 -#80 leader.

My thoughts immediately jumped back a week to Don Memmer's post about "Ahi Fever" and those great pictures of him holding several yellowfin in the mid-hundred pound range. Not on a fly though.

My customer went on to say that tuna up to #100 lbs were fun on the 18 wt. but over that they're a lot of work.

If you guys have ever fished Baja and taken Skippies or small yellowfin you know how they go straight down after a while and circle when trying to get them back up. It's a lot of work even with a 12 wt. My biggest was around 40 lbs. taken in Loreto a few years back and that just about killed me. Now go look at Don Memmer's pictures at "Ahi Fever", and try to imagine taking one of those on a fly,,, 18 wt. or otherwise.

I think I'll stick to stripers if I ever get back to the East coast.
    Tony
    Last edited by Tony Buzolich; 07-02-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180