Thread: 200 lb. Tuna and 18 wt. Fly Rods

Smile 200 lb. Tuna and 18 wt. Fly Rods

A few days ago I received an order for one of my stripping baskets from a guide on the East Coast. He said one of his customers had knocked his over-board and lost it.

Being he lives in Mass., I immediately asked about how striped fishing was. He responded with a "really good", but he added that they've been getting Bluefin tuna as well. He said his record fish was right at #200 lbs.

I wanted to clarify, "Was this on a fly ?" " Absolutely" he replied. He uses a custom Biscayne Bay 18 wt. fly rod with RIO Leviathon line that has the heavier core, and not being IGFA he uses straight #60 -#80 leader.

My thoughts immediately jumped back a week to Don Memmer's post about "Ahi Fever" and those great pictures of him holding several yellowfin in the mid-hundred pound range. Not on a fly though.

My customer went on to say that tuna up to #100 lbs were fun on the 18 wt. but over that they're a lot of work.

If you guys have ever fished Baja and taken Skippies or small yellowfin you know how they go straight down after a while and circle when trying to get them back up. It's a lot of work even with a 12 wt. My biggest was around 40 lbs. taken in Loreto a few years back and that just about killed me. Now go look at Don Memmer's pictures at "Ahi Fever", and try to imagine taking one of those on a fly,,, 18 wt. or otherwise.

I think I'll stick to stripers if I ever get back to the East coast.
    Tony
    Last edited by Tony Buzolich; 07-02-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Hey Tony, 18wt hunh? I only have a TFO heavy 16wt. I was out at a buoy last week and we were getting mahi on chunk bait on my trevella rod wit a torium reel and 50lb braid line and 60lb leader. Well a big ahi hit a bait and broke an 80lb spro swivel on the first run, so I re-rigged and the next one almost spooled me on the torium at 500 yrds and 20lbs drag. The fish made it back to the buoy and cut the line on the chain.
    I am headed back tomorrow with some chunk bait lines, 150lb fluro and 9/0 hooks to try and get my hooks back. My largest ahi on fly was 60lbs and that took an hour and a half. 200lb blue on fly is a sure way to end up with back problems.
    Don Memmer

I've pulled on tuna up to 75# on conventional gear and would NOT want to tangle with a 200 on a fly rod. Insane!

FWIW though, lots of angler now use pretty light rods and use the drag of the reel to boat the fish. Point the rod straight down and do not use the pump and stroke method. I have tried it and it works and get the fish to the boat much faster than lifting a tuna from the depths as it does the death spin.

To quote a friend after he took an albacore trip with both fly and conventional gear, “A fly rod is just the wrong tool for some fish”.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    To quote a friend after he took an albacore trip with both fly and conventional gear, “A fly rod is just the wrong tool for some fish”.
    Agree 100% with this statement....you don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

I think any tuna like fish over 50# would be a nightmare on a fly rod.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........