Thread: Red Lake Report 07/01/2020

Default Red Lake Report 07/01/2020

Huuuuummmmmmmmmm.................................. .....pretty quiet on the board lately.......................

Well..........made the trek up to Red again today.

Blasted off @ 8:30, made the gas and windshield pit stop in Minden, and arrived @ Red around 9:45.

BTW.......... Hope Valley had a small number of cars this morning........many, many more this evening.

Wading the shore has been pretty productive for me, so, I wet waded the shore again.
    On the water and made my first cast just before 10:00.

No strikes till 10:30 again.....................hummmmm................. ... the Cutthroats seem to be on a time schedule.

I fished till 3:30 (about an hour too long) then packed it up.

A fellow showed up somewhere around noon with a float tube and spent a few hours at the west end of the lake.
    I asked him how he did and his response was "That was a whole lotta' work for nothing".

I told him how I did and then he went silent.......packed up and left.........

So, how'd I do ??
    Today I landed 8, LDR'd 6, and missed 7 strikes. all wet wading off the dam.
    I didn't land any "larger than rats", but I saw a fish a spinning rod guy landed and kept that was DEFINITELY "larger than a rat".

The water was cool today and the clarity is still EXCELLENT and hopefully will last another month+ before turning into "pea-soup".

I wanna' make some more trips up there and keep on spanking those dang Cutthroats.

Before I forget..................no attacks today from Wild Otters, Muskrats, Beavers, Seals, Sea Lions, Bigfoots or any other furry critters ...............

For the ride home this evening, a couple of packs of Nutri-Grain kids snack squares, (once again pilfered from the grandsons stash) and a medium Gatorade.

Dang Cutthroats......................................

Bob

P.S. Lots of trailers, 5th wheels, and motorhomes headed UP on the way home tonight.........

Nice work Bob but you missed a critter on that list. I was driving above Red on 88 with a friend a couple of years ago and an animal crossed the road in front of us. I looked at my friend and asked "what did you think that was?" He said badger which is exactly what I thought it was too. I was shocked but I did a little research and found that we do have some badgers in California and it asked that you report them if you see them so they can keep track of sightings. I did report the sighting.

You are getting them, Bob. You might quit Pyramid now that you have a new spot. The pandemic has also caused me to look for some new spots and it has worked out. Kind of funny there is a silver lining to not being able to fish your usual spots.

It can be awkward to give a good report to someone who did not do well. If I did well they feel bad and if they did well I feel bad. I usually try to lay low and just say it was okay or slow or skunkola. Guides are always tight lipped when they do well. It can be funny to hear them lie to other anglers or really play down what was a good day. Sometimes they ask you to hide your tackle when they pass another guide boat. Once in the Delta the guide told me to keep an eye on a rival boat and make sure they were not following us to a spot. Funny stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by markem8 View Post
    Nice work Bob but you missed a critter on that list. I was driving above Red on 88 with a friend a couple of years ago and an animal crossed the road in front of us. I looked at my friend and asked "what did you think that was?" He said badger which is exactly what I thought it was too. I was shocked but I did a little research and found that we do have some badgers in California and it asked that you report them if you see them so they can keep track of sightings. I did report the sighting.
    Badgers ?????

Awwwww geezzzzzzzzzz...........................

I've got to B.O.L.O. now for something else that'll stain my drawers.

Seriously though............................I appreciate the "heads-up".

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    You are getting them, Bob. You might quit Pyramid now that you have a new spot. The pandemic has also caused me to look for some new spots and it has worked out. Kind of funny there is a silver lining to not being able to fish your usual spots.

It can be awkward to give a good report to someone who did not do well. If I did well they feel bad and if they did well I feel bad. I usually try to lay low and just say it was okay or slow or skunkola. Guides are always tight lipped when they do well. It can be funny to hear them lie to other anglers or really play down what was a good day. Sometimes they ask you to hide your tackle when they pass another guide boat. Once in the Delta the guide told me to keep an eye on a rival boat and make sure they were not following us to a spot. Funny stuff..
    Quit Pyramid ??????????? WOAH NELLIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being that Red Lake is ~ 9000 feet, I don't relish the thought of fishing on frozen water, even if I could get up there during the winter.
    At least Pyramid doesn't freeze over.........although sometimes I feel as though I'm frozen.

The deal with Red seems to be hitting the "fishable window".
    Very soon the annual summer algae bloom "should" happen and render the lake un-fishable.
    Last year it wasn't just a little green, it was "nuclear green".

And yep, I've experienced those "funny little things" the guides do too.

Keep on posting your wonderful picture loaded reports John.
    They keep me "even keeled" and content till I can make one of my weekly excursions........................

Bob