Thread: Webber and Independence Lakes Update

Default Webber and Independence Lakes Update

Hi Everyone, John from the Truckee Donner Land Trust here.
    Just dropping a line to update on Webber and Independence Lakes.

Webber Lake: The gate is open, Day-use is open, the boat ramp is open, and the Campground is open with the exception of the Group Camp. Weekend reservations are filling fast with the campground.
    The Lake was stocked with 3-to-a-pound size LCT along with some Heenan Lake monsters. In addition there are plenty of holdovers and wild fish. Fishing has been decent on the surface before this heat wave. Mosquitos are the real deal, probably for a week or so more. Please practice Social Distancing.

Independence Lake:
    The Day use is open, but the boats are currently not available. We manage this property jointly with the Nature Conservancy (who owns the land around the Lake), and are trying to figure out how to operate the boat fleet in this time. I'll update as we know more.
    OK thanks!

Hi John place looks great like the new section but when's the wind stop?

Quote Originally Posted by beachjumper1 View Post
    Hi John place looks great like the new section but when's the wind stop?
    It is definitely a thing! Today is no joke; notably windier than the normal really windy!

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    It is definitely a thing! Today is no joke; notably windier than the normal really windy!
    The lore is that this area has the perfect fetch for the wind to come through the Gate, through Carq Strait, through Emigrant gap and over a low pass. Not sure it is exact science with mountain torque, microclimates, etc., but it does seem to be windier there than Tahoe, Donner, Gold lake, etc. -although those spots are all windy too!

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    The lore is that this area has the perfect fetch for the wind to come through the Gate, through Carq Strait, through Emigrant gap and over a low pass. Not sure it is exact science with mountain torque, microclimates, etc., but it does seem to be windier there than Tahoe, Donner, Gold lake, etc. -although those spots are all windy too!
    When it's 100+ for weeks at a time, I imagine projects that involve lowering or removing the hills altogether at Fairfield and let that marine "wind" head east unobstructed!

There are similar gaps along the Sierra Crest that seem to collect rising air. One lake I know in one of these gaps is a benefactor as "trout food" seems to ride these jetstreams and land in this lake, like helpless terrestrials. At least that is my observation. Maybe it's from something else, but I like my theory.