Thread: A Tale of Tenacity (or stupidity) redux

Default A Tale of Tenacity (or stupidity) redux

There is a Japanese proverb that says: “A wise man will climb Mt. Fuji once; a fool will climb Mt. Fuji twice.” I know that where I was is no Mt. Fuji, but perhaps I still fall into the latter category all the same. Three years ago I took this trip: https://www.billkiene.com/forums/sho...nacity-A-Fish- Report&highlight=
    and I believe I swore that I would never go back. Well, I guess my resolve weakened and I impulsively did a solo return trip a few days ago. The road in was positively worse and the “trail” in was as bad as I remember, and I probably took 75 million breaks on the way up to catch my breath, but I made it all the same.
    Why? For this very rare trout:

Oncorhynchus clarki seleniris, a.k.a. as the Pauite Cutthroat trout.

The stream was in much better shape than last time too, the flows were just about perfect.

Speaking of water, last time we had a gushing seasonal spring for our water source, which saved a mile or so of hiking with a heavy backpack, but this time I had to improvise and dig a bit. I still was able to spare myself that extra bit of hiking as a result. Thank goodness!

Going solo was kind of stressful, as this place is WAY off the beaten path, but I gave very specific details, GPS coordinates, etc. to my wife, but all of that was for naught, as I made it back in one piece. I did see a large heard of big horn sheep, but they moved through so quickly that I couldn’t get to my camera on time. There are a lot of hoof prints and scat up there from them, so this is definitely their home turf. However, I did see a herd of wild horses on my way out, once I was back in my rig.

I hope now that I have gained some semblance of wisdom and that the next time I fish for Paiute trout, it will be in their native drainage, which is not as difficult to get to. I hear that they have been replanted and I hope that they are prospering, multiplying, spreading and doing well down in their home waters. Fingers crossed.

Anyhow, enjoy some pics of a rare North American trout.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Fly Guy Dave; 06-22-2020 at 02:06 PM.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Beautiful trout Dave, and beautiful country. I've done it twice myself. One more time before I can't anymore is in order.

Nice solution to the water problem.

Keep it up Bud, I love seeing these.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Nice job on getting the Paiutes and nice job on posting a report. No spots on those. Someone told me that is how you know you have a pure Paiute and not a cross with a rainbow or some other trout.

Thanks.

Great report, and absolutely gorgeous fish! I didn’t realize there were places where they could be fished for. Without any specifics, were they in CA or NV? I’m going to have to start doing some homework...

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    Without any specifics, were they in CA or NV? I’m going to have to start doing some homework...
    The trout are in CA. The info is out there, it does take some research, though. Fair warning: the hike in is REALLY tough and the dues to be paid to get some of these trout are high.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

This and GTW are a couple things I might do later this summer or fall.

AWESOME!! I'll bet those sore muscles weren't so sore after looking at these pictures!

Awww yeaaahhh- nice work!!

Beautiful ! Nice going. I hope someday to see them in their native range as well.