567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Question Proposed Franks Tract Redesign....

If you haven't already read this survey, please do so. If adopted, and it will be, Franks Tract will be substantially impacted. Whether bad or good, it's going to happen as the state needs a place to put all of the tunnel muck from "The Delta Re-conveyance Project." You might as well have some input about your choice of the options....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Interesting options for the "reshaping" of Franks Tract. Whether they use tunnel muck or not, maybe it's time to reshape the body of water to be one that doesn't promote weed growth entirely and can in turn be a healthy habitat for the important lower end of the food chain that supports smolt, fry, fingerlings, etc.

I would like to just see a balance of some sort. I'm not a hydrologist or marine biologist, but if water is to be pumped under the current config, and the rock lined levees are necessary for conveyance and reliability, then why can't some of the islands be used to create the habitat that existed previous to reclamation and levee formation? Rotate the islands to allow for structure growth flooding, etc. And, don't allow them to become a current Franks Tract = weed bog.

A lot of effort is made in places to restore spawning habitat, remove dams, restore wetlands, etc. Some of the delta has to be rock lined water conveyance mechanism, but why can't other areas be reshaped into pre-reclamation/levee formation to support the food chain, bottom to top?

Right now, Franks is horrendous in its current state. There needs to be change.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 06-22-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Default Frank's Tract

The current project provides 3 options for placement of islands in Frank's tract combined with the option to place a rock barrier in False River during periods of low flow to prevent salt water intrusion, the latter is already done. Did you have a particular choice among the options offered??
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    The current project provides 3 options for placement of islands in Frank's tract combined with the option to place a rock barrier in False River during periods of low flow to prevent salt water intrusion, the latter is already done. Did you have a particular choice among the options offered??
    I preferred the Eastern Land Mass slightly over the Open Water concept. I feel that either one will create more habitat for food chain production with nice deeper water areas close to shallow water flats. Little Franks should become a rearing habitat for smolt, fry, and lower end food chain production.

1, 2, or 3 is better vs. what Franks is today.

I know.... be careful what you wish for, but Webb Tract could also be converted to some type of heavily structured habitat as well, with a healthy tidal current running through it, etc.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 07-07-2020 at 09:32 PM.