Thread: Do you have a retirement plan? I can help / inspire you.

Default Do you have a retirement plan? I can help / inspire you.

I worked in the fishing tackle business my entire adult like, watching mostly men go through life.

I do feel that in some ways I am an expert at retirement or at least I can talk a lot about it.

That said, I retired at 70 which in most cases is too late.

I had several customers retire in their 40s but they had special circumstances.

Most people here should have no trouble adjusting to retirement because they love the outdoors.

Some should never retire because they have nothing they want to do with that extra time?

Others are too thrift to retire because they can't spend the money it takes to go fishing.

Some have other issues / responsibilities that keep them from going off on trips.

Some are trapped in a profession where they are finally making what I call "the big money".

Many today, because of medical cost, can't retire until they are 63 / 65 so they can be on Medicare.

Some just can't retire because of economics.

OK, well I believe in retiring as soon as possible / practical.

This usually pisses off some people but I feel compelled to talk about it.

A serious fact is the sooner you retire, the longer you will live......check with your insurance salesman.

Conversely, the longer you wait to retire that sooner you will die.

I also have watched many of my friends / customers move to better fishing places to live.

Many have moved to Oregon and Washington to be closer to Steelhead rivers.

Many have moved to Idaho / Montanan to be closer to world class trout fishing.

One guy move to the Bahamas. Some moved to Florida / Texas.

Others have merely moved back home where they grew up.

Another trend I see are people that have two homes...one in Florida and one in Montana?

Fred Gordon spends half the year in Dunsmuir and half in New Zealand.

A few like Rick Jorgensen sold out and bought a big truck and trailer. Rick is single and a very serious Commando fly fish.

Getting retired and having an RV can be the answer for many.

We are born and on average, males might live to be 80 years?

From 70 to 80, where I am, there is lots of things you can't do anymore.

That is why we love boats....that is where we belong after 70.

I have inspired some to retire earlier than they were thinking about and I feel good about it.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Well said Bill. I was a Financial Planner for 34 years and retired at 65....I don't miss it one day. btw. I used to say to my clients "the best thing you can do when you retire is get a job". What I meant by that was that men should always have a passion apart from their regular job and I quoted my wife's father who as a sole provider for his wife and four children started work at age 14 and worked until he was was 60. He died within six months of retirement as he had no other interests other than his 9 to 5 job. Of course the fact that he was a smoker and big meat eater didn't help. Nonetheless a salutary lesson you'd agree.

Bill, you've done this a few times now, and I appreciate the sentiment. I'm a ways out from retiring and the 'rona effect has added years to the date now.

Dynaflow, your dad was spot on about staying active, I've seen it too many times where sitting around does nothing but hasten your demise.
    My father retired at 55 after 37 years. He went to school, got a teaching credential and did 22 more years. Never slowed down, till right up near the end of his life. His motto was everything in moderation, which is more important than ever now.
    Last edited by Mr T; 06-18-2020 at 02:03 PM. Reason: eye kant typ

All good info.....

I just want people to be thinking about the subject.

If you are single or have the right wife you can do fun things that you can't while working.

I think if you retire and get a different job, part time, it can be good too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........