Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sotar Micro Strike -- anyone rowed it?

Default Sotar Micro Strike -- anyone rowed it?

Has anyone rowed the Sotar Micro Strike with a frame on it? How's the stability? It's narrow, but that is one of the attractive components for me...

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I guess Sotar has a demo at their main location in Oregon. I might go row it.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    I guess Sotar has a demo at their main location in Oregon. I might go row it.

Where do you plan to use it ?

I have pontoon and Pram - I "need" more boats but no way I can justify it or convince the boss

Quote Originally Posted by steveg137 View Post
    Where do you plan to use it ?

I have pontoon and Pram - I "need" more boats but no way I can justify it or convince the boss
    Trinity, Lower Sac, Yuba, Upper Klamath primarily

Coastal steelhead rivers and out of state rivers occasionally

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Trinity, Lower Sac, Yuba, Upper Klamath primarily

Coastal steelhead rivers and out of state rivers occasionally
    I have 1 day on the oars in the Strike (12') on upper Salmon River in Idaho. Have not used the 11' MicroStrike.

Sotar's primary market is large rafts for outfitters- serious whitewater boats where weight is not an issue.

Overall: well made but expensive, heavy, expensive, heavy, expensive.

I looked at the MicroStrike on Sotar's website and seems like fully outfitted could be $6,000 range- because everything is extra: frame, oars, chafe (reinforced area on top of tubes), hand pump, rod holders, etc. It uses an NRS frame.

For $2,000 less, consider:

FLYCRAFT STEALTH (46" wide, 5 chamber with frame that can be set up for 1 person or 2 plus has a motor mount)-- I have never seen one, but I like the concept and versatility. Design seems to be a mini-drift boat. Plus with the $$$ saved, you could buy an ePropulsion performance electric motor and motor all day on flatwater, run upriver to re-float runs on the Lower Sac, or blast through frog water on Lower Sac.

https://www.flycraftusa.com/

WATERMASTER BRUIN- I am biased, since I been a WM Kodiak user for 5 years and love the quality and weight capacity.
    Uses a NRS frame, so you can customize it in the future by buying directly from NRS.

https://www.bigskyinflatables.com/pr...er-bruin-raft/

Also consider: NRS sells similar rafts and you could customize with NRS frame. www.nrs.com

A link to flyffishers board discussion of similar boats, including Creek T Rex and MiniMax:

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...-bruin.789544/

Jim
    Last edited by JayDubP; 06-21-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Consider the Catchercraft Sea Run Bull. https://www.catchercraft.com/srbsearunbull

I have one in Red Bluff. At 10.5' long/57" wide, it will fit in a pickup bed. Let me know if you want to try it out.

I've had a 10' Aire Trib with a custom Catchercraft frame for about a year and a half now. It's awesome to fish out of and pretty much bullet proof. But, it's a bit on the heavy/awkward side to simply throw in the back of your truck when it's fully assembled. I can't load it by myself and have a very difficult time with two people. I've compensated by cobbling together a removable rack with a winch that sits on the back of my truck. This makes it possible to load and unload it by myself.

I have rowed the SRB. I almost bought the exact one you probably own, but I didn’t see a path for me to own it without a trailer as I have an SUV.

I won’t buy a Flycraft. They’re as tippy as a canoe. I was thinking the Sotar might be a little more stable as it has wider tubes and a bit more rubber on the water. Safety and comfort are more important than price with this purchase.

Scadden is having a Fathers Day sale-- many models (new) over 50% off.

https://www.davescaddenpaddlesports....sportssalepage