Thread: Manzanita Lake

Default Manzanita Lake

Made it up to Manzanita Lake with family a couple days ago. Nice hatch of a #12-16 mayfly around lunch time. There was snow added to Mt. Lassen overnight that melted a bit during the day. Best lake fishing scenery around! Katz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200608_123033.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	15787   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200608_154347.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	514.0 KB 
ID:	15788  
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

That is a great fishing backdrop. There is a canoe maker in Canada about 2000 miles from here that uses a Manzanita photo for their advertisement. I like your log shot. That log has been there as long as I can remember. What is the park access statue? I saw a report that it was closed.

The park is open and entrance fees are required.

Open and operating. Not sure about overnight camping but we did see a few people setting up small trailers. The person manning the gate said she was really excited to be open again. Facilities were clean and there were about a dozen people fishing throughout the day.
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    Made it up to Manzanita Lake with family a couple days ago. Nice hatch of a #12-16 mayfly around lunch time. There was snow added to Mt. Lassen overnight that melted a bit during the day. Best lake fishing scenery around! Katz
    Nice Katz !!!

I'd give my right testicle to fish Manzanita hard again........I love that lake.

I ALWAYS caught fish in the area of "the log".
    Brings back a flood of wonderful memories.

Bob

Back in the 1970s Melvin Jeffs and I started fishing Manzanita Lake and McCumber reservoir from round float tubes.

We used Seal-Dri seamless rubber stocking foot waders with swim fins.

Later were evolved to our prams and a pop-up tent trailer.

Back then we had soft, slow action Fenwick fiberglass fly rods with Hardy or Pflueger fly reels.

Cortland fly lines were the big deal back then.

We used Berkeley knotless tapered mono filament leaders with Gladding Gladel French tippet material.

In 50 years the fly fishing in still water has come a long ways.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

My brother and I have been fishing Manzanita since the mid-80's to early 90's (so long ago I can remember). The lake was always a challenge but it was rare to catch a fish under 15 inches. 17 inchers were pretty common and 19 and 20 inchers were not that rare.

Hatches of callibaetis were reliable with large black ants early in the season and damsel flies, as well.

We used to go every Memorial Day weekend and the weekend two weeks later. At it's peak, I'm not exaggerating by saying that some days there were 75-100 float tubers out on the lake. It could get so crowded that I would have to look around carefully to find the next open area to fish.

For the last 20 years we have made only a single trip to the lake, primarily due to trips to other locations. For me, the last half dozen years has shown a significant decline in the lake's productivity. We still fish the lake but we do so with much lower expectations. I would be the first to admit that my age (74) and laziness has contributed to my lower fish counts, but the diminished number of rising fish is pretty obvious compared to the "old days". Plus, nowadays you have to put up with inconsiderate kayakers.

In the 1970s everyone went up to Northern California to fly fish for trout in great streams and lakes.

You had the amazing Upper Sac, McCloud, Pitt, Fall river, north and middle Feather river and Hat Creek.

It was very hard to decide where to go because these streams were all so good.

For lakes we had Lewiston, McCumber, Manzanita, Baum, Almanor, Davis, Frenchmens, and Eagle.

There were another dozen or so and all were better back then.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I love this place.
    The rental kayakers is a real pain but I understand others enjoying the place.
    Won't get up there this year sadly but can't wait to do so.