Thread: Be Careful Cleaning Your Closet

Red face Be Careful Cleaning Your Closet

Today was one of those days where you just had to do something. Tired of sitting on my butt watching TV, Not much happening in the rivers beside shad where I can't get to. I've already mowed the lawn and weeded the tomatoes,,,, uugh,, I'm bored.

My wife says why don't I take some stuff to Goodwill and clean out my closet. Hmmm? Not a bad idea.

As I start rummaging around in the closet I start sorting out rods and tubes and shipping tubes. I've saved a lot of shipping tubes from rods over the years and I don't need eight or ten of them so out to the recycle can they go. But it's almost full and I can't close the lid.

Maybe if I cut them down I can get them all in, so over to the band saw I go. Nice three or four foot tubes cut down to one foot work perfectly in the can.

After four or five tubes I start to cut the next one and it rattles. Oops, stop! I shake it again and it rattles some more. Better look inside before I cut any more.

Sure enough, here's a brand NEW TFO 12 wt. Mangrove. This was the rod TFO had sent me as a warranty for breaking my BVK at Christmas Is. last year on a milkfish. Geez ! That was a close call. I'd already made one cut through the box and the next cut would have surly gotten the new rod.

So when you start throwing stuff away, be sure to check the contents or the pockets for things that might be of valve.
    Tony

ps. Anyone looking for a new 12 wt. really cheap ?
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    Today was one of those days where you just had to do something. Tired of sitting on my butt watching TV, Not much happening in the rivers beside shad where I can't get to. I've already mowed the lawn and weeded the tomatoes,,,, uugh,, I'm bored.

After four or five tubes I start to cut the next one and it rattles. Oops, stop! I shake it again and it rattles some more. Better look inside before I cut any more.

Sure enough, here's a brand NEW TFO 12 wt. Mangrove. This was the rod TFO had sent me as a warranty for breaking my BVK at Christmas Is. last year on a milkfish. Geez ! That was a close call. I'd already made one cut through the box and the next cut would have surly gotten the new rod.
    I hear you on the bored Tony !!!!!
    I spent the day yesterday cleaning up sticks and twigs from a "wind event" we had a few days ago.

Fortunately, the wife has tomorrow off and gave me the "Green Light" to go to Red Lake again tomorrow and try to whip-up on some dang cutthroats.

I've got to buy my one day California fishing license and then start pre-staging in the garage.

Glad you didn't turn your "found" TFO into an eight piece travel rod !!!!!!

Bob

p.s. Were you working @ Johnsons B&T when Gary (I think that was his name) owned the shop ??
    This would be just before "Bob" bought it ?
    If so, I was the Glo-Bug & Salmon Alevin, Shad flies, fly tier that use to visit weekly to re-fill the shop.
    I remember trading Gary a LOT of Glo-Bugs for a Loomis IMX 10' 4wt. rod blank that I built out some 25 + years ago........and still have it......................

If not............never mind....................
    Last edited by BS; 06-09-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Hi Bob,

That must have been just before I started at Johnson's. I started the fly fishing department for Bob Boucke as he had no experience with fly fishing at all.

Boucke had bought all the leftover stuff from Bob's Fly Shack over on Ohnstot Rd. and needed some one to figure it all out for him. ( a lot of Bobs going on here).

Anyway, I told Bob B. if he was going to hire me I would have to have full control if we were going to make it a going fly shop. (actually a dept. in Johnsons)

The first thing I asked him was what was his number one fish that people around Yuba City fished for? Striped bass, he said.
    What was the number two fish that people went for ? Salmon, he said. How about number three or four fish ? "Well, that would probably be black bass, and maybe steelhead, or catfish.

" Then why the hell did you buy all these OLD trout flies from the Fly Shack?" I asked.

And with that I got him started with bigger game fly fishing. I took him up to the Low Flow on the Feather and got him his first salmon on a fly. I took him to the delta in the fall and got him his first striped bass on a fly. After that I even got him to go to Baja with me and got him his first taste of saltwater and dorado and toro.

I left Johnson's shortly after that. It went back to trout stuff with another salesman, and the store sold a bit later.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    Hi Bob,

That must have been just before I started at Johnson's. I started the fly fishing department for Bob Boucke as he had no experience with fly fishing at all.

Boucke had bought all the leftover stuff from Bob's Fly Shack over on Ohnstot Rd. and needed some one to figure it all out for him. ( a lot of Bobs going on here).

Anyway, I told Bob B. if he was going to hire me I would have to have full control if we were going to make it a going fly shop. (actually a dept. in Johnsons)

The first thing I asked him was what was his number one fish that people around Yuba City fished for? Striped bass, he said.
    What was the number two fish that people went for ? Salmon, he said. How about number three or four fish ? "Well, that would probably be black bass, and maybe steelhead, or catfish.

" Then why the hell did you buy all these OLD trout flies from the Fly Shack?" I asked.

And with that I got him started with bigger game fly fishing. I took him up to the Low Flow on the Feather and got him his first salmon on a fly. I took him to the delta in the fall and got him his first striped bass on a fly. After that I even got him to go to Baja with me and got him his first taste of saltwater and dorado and toro.

I left Johnson's shortly after that. It went back to trout stuff with another salesman, and the store sold a bit later.
    Tony
    Thank you for the timeline Tony.

Looks like we may have just missed each other during that "era".

I think Frank (short in stature and always had a great story to tell), was still employed there when you came on board ?????

The last I heard about Frank was that he had passed (heart condition).

During the store's transition/change of ownership, I purchased a long spinning rod cork handle which I stashed away for a rainy day.
    A couple of years ago I used that handle for a single hand to double hand fly rod conversion I did.
    I actually remembered that purchase and even which shelf that handle was at (near the floor)
    while working on my two hand conversion ...................................

Anyhow, I guess we both can say, "been there.........done that".......

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 06-09-2020 at 08:08 PM.