Thread: Wilson rods

Default Wilson rods

Hello in the USA

I have acquired a Fisher fly rod here in the UK . Never come across the make before . It is in a modern style aluminum tube marked ;-

Most popular actions
    Fisher
    Since 1922
    Rod is marked ;,
    Sterling by Fisher
    FST 46708 9-0" 6/7
    Serial number 91092

It is in four sections , with a 6 1/2" grip , 3 1/2" reel seat with one inner tapered nut Guides are two strippers , 8 graduated snakes and a hayfork tip . To me its outstanding feature are the spiggot ferules as per those fitted to Hardy rods when I started fly fishing in 1975 .
    It has a great action , slightly softer than "middle tip " , typical of the days before all the big manufacturers decided we needed fast action rods !
    I have found an article dated March 7 2007 from which I deduce it was made in the mid 1980,s but it looks much later than that .
    Can anybody give me a more specific timescale ?

Many Thanks
    Tony Waddington

Fisher rods were highly regarded at one time. I have one two piece 6/7 weight that has a slower action but was regarded as fast in its day. Like so many others it was OTBE. Read the interesting history of the company if you can find it.

Fisher had many style of labels & many names for the same rods through out the years same as the Original Graphite 33 mm modulus carbon series fly rods with up grades in reel seat to the Sterling Series. The double line rating some what stayed the same through the years . It was a 1980 example .

I have quite a bit of the last existing stock of the Fisher Company. One of the best fly rod ever made during the Golden Age of Fly Rods.
    I work with it on a daily basis . Very cool find . Randy

Tony, I don't know if I have this totally right but I believe that Fisher supplied Hardy with blanks and then helped them build a blank rolling facility. The spigot ferules hardy used at that time were a fisher design.

Russell

Here is some info on Fisher Rod Company.

https://www.billkiene.com/forums/sho...er-rod-company
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

hello in the USA
    thanks for the info guys , as I deduced 1980,s . The rod feels a little top heavy in the hand , but get some line out and
    it changes to a nice easy lower middle tip action . The styling and finish seems ahead of its time to me .
    As we cannot at the moment access the USA we are unable to visit with our daughter in Florida , even if the virus is rampant there .
    Take care and stay safe .
    Best regards
    Tony

hello Russell
    some of the early Fibatube ( Hardy ) blanks available for self build had solid white fiberglass spigots in them , but in the 1981 catalog I have they make a big play about the hollow spigot joints , I think these were introduced with the advent of graphite .
    regards
    tony