Thread: Topwater Video & Reports

Default Topwater Video & Reports

New Video. Topwater on Lake Oroville

https://youtu.be/jqog6_BmNDw

Considering the weather, we all have a few days of expected great bassin this weekend. Rain and clouds during the spring can really ramp the bite up. And these conditions can move bigger fish up shallow. When holding a bass, and you notice the fish's body is warmer than the air temps, it means the bite is on! Here's a little intel...

I have been bouncing around quite a bit lately. Over the last few weeks I have been on Lake Oroville, Shasta, and Berryessa. Berryessa is at the end of what I consider the fly fishing season. However, with this rain, I expect it to be fishing very good. If I were to be fishing here over the weekend I would fish the float n' fly hard.

Lake Oroville has had great topwater since it opened back up maybe 2 weeks ago. Mornings and evenings are key for this time of year. I expect the bite to continue the same throughout the summer, well into September. Very good average sizes of bass this year. Between fishing Shasta, Berryessa, and Clear Lake, I have really been starting to appreciate, more and more each year, the topwater Lake Oroville has to offer. Just always a very reliable bite in comparison to other fisheries. Very fun with a 5 or 6wt.

Lake Shasta has pretty much been completely on fire this Spring. Although I have not found the great topwater bite I'm seeing on Oroville, we are seeing an average of 70-75 fish each trip on the float n fly. Some days are producing a few very nice fish too. But most days, it's been a quantity of quality game, especially considering we're moving into summer and out of spring. However, this weekend, the rain should do wonders to the fishery that's already fishing great.

Hope this inspires someone to get out there before the clouds leave us!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6165.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	15765   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6171.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	15766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6160.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	15767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6144.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	15768   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0713.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	15769  

Couple more pics. 5 max per post!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0693.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	4.29 MB 
ID:	15770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0686.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	4.20 MB 
ID:	15771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0684.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	4.99 MB 
ID:	15772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0721.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	4.83 MB 
ID:	15773   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61239994947__78B6B411-4ABC-489E-9B6A-16DAD55CB483.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	15774  

Thanks for the video. I haven't been to Clear Lake yet this year. I'm hoping to fish it in the next week or so.

I guess low light (AM/PM/Shade/Overcast) is good for top water.

Low wide is good too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Mike, please drop a report when you hit Clear Lake! Curious how it is fishing right now. I'll start fishing there again in mid July. This can be a real hit or miss time of year out there. I know people get them on frogs in early summer/late spring, but I just have not figured that bite out yet personally.

And yes Bill! Low light, AM/PM, shade, and overcast are all great factors for topwater. As long as the water is warm and comfortable for the fish. These are especially good factors for the larger fish too. I figure they just feel more comfortable going shallower in low light conditions. Not much different from steelhead or trout.

I was at Clearlake Wednesday. Looked at literally hundreds of fish either on beds, paired up, or just cruising. There is alot of grass and once the spawn is over there will be some good topwater opportunities. This is not the last wave of spawners by any means. Like the Delta, the spawn lasts well through June. Like Ryan said, July is the time you can expect a consistent reaction bite up there.
    On Friday I fished Melones and ran into some surface activity. Unfortunately it was one of those days where they actually get selective. I dug a flyrod out of the rod box but only had a bunch of refusals or head butts on the popper. It happens.
    Ryan, I enjoy all of your videos. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the intel MThompson. Honestly I did not realize CL bass spawn all the way into June. This does make sense though, my boat's PB came in June one year and looked as if it was spawning. And it blows my mind how selective bass can be for topwater on the reservoirs at times. I am lucky to be on Oroville because the bass here don't seem to care, pretty eager to hit the surface. Thanks for the kind words on the videos! The good feedback really means allot.

Oroville is a blast to fish. I will probably sneak up there this week.

Nice worth a trip right now! Maybe I'll see ya. Say hi if you see the fly rod and white evinrude!