Thread: dark-winged/-posted flies...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default dark-winged/-posted flies...

Has anyone seen any flies in the bins at local shops that have a very dark colored (black, dark brown) wing or sighter post?

I got turned onto using a black posted parachute adams by a guide in Montana. While it is nearly impossible to see atraditional white-posted version on high glare water conditions, the dark ones are very easy to see. When fishing the dusk hatches locally where you often have to fish across several different glare windows, I now fish a double dry-fly rig, one dark posted, and one light posted, so that I can always see my flies regardless of what the light is doing throughout the drift.

I am having trouble finding any dark posted generic mayfly or caddisfly patterns locally, so before I go calling all the fly shops on the Bighorn and seeing what they have and if they will do a phone order, I just wanted to see if anyone had seen any...

I might also try to dye the white posts black with a sharpie or something...not sure if it will have the same effect...but might try it...
    Last edited by PV_Premier; 05-26-2020 at 03:51 PM.