Thread: Kauai Questions

Default Kauai Questions

Since there seem to be more than a few Hawaii veterans here, I thought I would pick your brains.

My wife is threatening to take me to Kauai for my birthday in late September. I plan on trying to put together one guided day, and the rest would be DIY fly or light spin on beaches. It’s not the main focus of the trip. Frankly, Mem’s post below sounds more interesting than just chasing bonefish.

Two questions. First, what part of the island would you go to? We’re going to AirBNB it, and there are good deals from Princeville to the southwestern corner of the island and everywhere in between. Second, can anyone recommend a guide? Thanks!

I have limited experience fishing Kauai, so take advice with a grain of salt.

I liked the Princeville area best as a base. Anni beach area looked like a good area, note I did not catch anything, but this blog talks about fly fishing the area. https://flyfishadventure.blogspot.co...ai-on-fly.html

Other beaches in the area looked promising for fly fishing

Only guide I know of on Kauai is Rob Aritta, http://www.bonefishkauai.com/ He likes to go to Annini beach for bones. You can also get trout up at kokee and peacock and largemouth, smallmouth bass at Wahita resevoir. September can get rough seas and bad winds, transition month into winter, but you can also get some nice days.
    I waited on responding to your post. Right now we are pretty anti-tourist here in Hawaii. Kauai has done the best job to keep the virus down, they haven't had a new case in 6 weeks. I have had to cancel guiding with several clients and have been ok with that. I hope things are better in September, but don't know what things will be like this fall. If you come, please get tested before and if they have quarantine rules in place please follow. We want people to visit Hawaii, but we also don't want the good thing we have going to be spoiled. Right now the state is allowing in tourists, but they are not being tested. I hope we get a vaccine and can get back to some sense of safety and security. I hope you have a great trip, I just wanted you to understand our sentiment right now.
    Don Memmer

"Right now the state is allowing in tourists, but they are not being tested."
    There's your first problem right there unfortunately.

Thanks for the responses everyone - that blog post was really helpful, and interesting! I booked Rob Arita for a day towards the end of the trip.

Mems, I genuinely appreciate your local perspective. Obviously, Kauai is doing things right, while here in CA we’re still seeing cases on the increase (and other places have decided to ignore it completely). If the quarantine rules are still in effect, I’ll be staying home, putting on my Flats boots, mixing an over the top rum drink, and watching Hawaiian bonefish videos on the big screen And probably sobbing into my drink.

I’m staying optimistic - like skating for steelhead optimistic- that things will have improved.