Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mid elevation blue lines

I have done a fair bit of creeking as well. I use my 1 weight Sage TXL or this stuff. It's a great rod for these adventures. I have had some great finds, as well as several whiffs as well. The enjoyment of hiking into some of these small streams, where you will never find a report or any information, and having a bang up day, is hard to beat. A side angle of enjoyment for me is the abundance of mining relics and history left over on many of these small creeks from the Gold Rush era.

One expedition into one of these creek involved a 2.9 mile, 1900' vertical foot into, and out of. Unfortunately, the uphill hoof was on the way out after a full day of rock hopping under the belt. Thankfully the fishing on that creek was awesome, with some large fish to boot. I did most of these on my own, and now that I am on the other side of 60, and having had 4 knee surgeries, I am not real keen on doing these trips solo anymore. So, I find myself not spending much time investing in these adventures these days.

Quote Originally Posted by yubaman View Post
    I have done a fair bit of creeking as well. I use my 1 weight Sage TXL or this stuff. It's a great rod for these adventures. I have had some great finds, as well as several whiffs as well. The enjoyment of hiking into some of these small streams, where you will never find a report or any information, and having a bang up day, is hard to beat. A side angle of enjoyment for me is the abundance of mining relics and history left over on many of these small creeks from the Gold Rush era.

One expedition into one of these creek involved a 2.9 mile, 1900' vertical foot into, and out of. Unfortunately, the uphill hoof was on the way out after a full day of rock hopping under the belt. Thankfully the fishing on that creek was awesome, with some large fish to boot. I did most of these on my own, and now that I am on the other side of 60, and having had 4 knee surgeries, I am not real keen on doing these trips solo anymore. So, I find myself not spending much time investing in these adventures these days.
    I’m sure you would find a few “young buck” willing partners, myself included. And I’m not much of a young buck.

Quote Originally Posted by David Beach View Post
    Ed, have enjoyed your posts for years. I don't do many myself. Your discussion on Canyons is close to my heart. Just fished a Canyon trib at start of the week. Lots of small rainbows. Realized I have been fishing this particular creek for over 52 years. Not many changes, still some miners but no suction dredges. I had the same type of discussion with Bill Carnazzo at a NFARA meeting once. Interesting and informative guy. We fished many of the same waters. You were right about the golden stones. Saw two adults and a few shucks. Overall, a good day on the creek, one tick, some poison oak and I didn't break my Walton Powell 8' 4 wt after a few falls...Tight lines....
    David Beach I'm honored to be mentioned in your first post. And in a good way at that.
    I just got back from fishing my all time favorite small blue line. It was fantastic! Small rainbows only but in such numbers that we were laughing about it all evening.

Ran into no one all day long, just as it should be.

And it's always a nice bonus to not break your rod.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

I dusted off the 1wt yesterday and had the stream to myself. Interestingly, it was the first time I have ever been snowed on while wet wading. The air temp was not that bad, and the water temp was fine, but the combination of atmospheric conditions and fairly narrow band of warm air near the surface had it spitting snow off and on despite the air temp being in the mid-40's.

Got a few on dries and also some pulling microstreamers through the deeper slots. Those little fish sure can hit a streamer hard when they want to and they will straight up chase, especially in the deeper pools.

The solitude provided by the canyons is special. I recently visited a creek I hadn’t been back to for close to 6 years. It was the exact same as I left it, besides the fact that I’m not as brash as I used to be. A few of my traverse points scared the heck out of me. The south fork has so much blue line water. I’ve been exploring it for years and have barely scratched the surface.

Hit a blue line on Friday - one of the higher elevation tribs that eventually feeds into the American Rivers. Flows were strong, and every likely run had fish in it that wanted my fly. I quit counting at 20 and landed some of the prettiest dark-spotted rainbows I have ever seen in only 3 hours. Good times...