Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid elevation blue lines

Default Mid elevation blue lines

The mid elevation blue lines are starting to fire up nicely. I fished one of my favorites for two hours today and was pleasantly surprised by the willingness of the resident small browns and bows to attack dry fly presentations. While it wasn’t as absent of others as I would like I also did not make much effort to get away from the road as I didn’t figure it would be needed for successful fishing and I was right.

That’s great to hear PV. Stoked to fish soon.

June, on average, is the top month for mid-elevation trout streams.

During a drought it can be May.

On a heavy snow pack it might be July.

Each stream has it's own slightly different average timing though.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Each stream has it's own slightly different average timing though.
    This is very true and in my experience it depends largely on 1) how much snow melt the drainage sees and 2) how many/how big the springs are that feed in, if any.

Case in point, the stream I fished on Saturday was at 5200' elevation but doesn't have much upstream snow pack and very few springs. It gets real warm by mid-July even in a good year especially as you go a few miles further downstream.

Another creek I like is at about 3500' but takes a ton of snow melt and has abundant springs that keep it icy all year long. I find it fishes best between mid-July and early August most years, and will fish all the way until October 1st if you can get into the really isolated parts where no one else goes.

Getting deep into the "backwoods" of creek fishing in the Sierras takes many summers of trial and error, a lot of hiking and a decent dose of craziness. The hiking and descent into some of the streams can be a real pain in the neck, there are a lot of snakes, the wading can be pretty sketchy. The fish are not big, but there are a lot of them and they are very beautiful, and the simplicity of the fishing is a really nice diversion every now and then versus the shenanigans you have to go through to catch valley trout and steelhead sometimes.

Be sure to have a thermometer with you.

Trout seem to bite better between 55 and 65.

Under 50 is tough and over 70 is not healthy.

Again my information is just average advise to give everyone some basic info.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Those mid elevation blue lines are my all time favorites. I've been fishing the canyons for over 30 years and still not bored of smallish but exceptionally beautiful trout. The Golden Stones should be peaking on most of them right about now.

PV, I'd bet money that we've walked across each others footprints on occasion.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    Those mid elevation blue lines are my all time favorites. I've been fishing the canyons for over 30 years and still not bored of smallish but exceptionally beautiful trout. The Golden Stones should be peaking on most of them right about now.

PV, I'd bet money that we've walked across each others footprints on occasion.
    Yep on the golden stones...and i hope not on the foot prints, but you are probably right. There are a lot of miles of stream out there, but us blue line crack addicts seem to explore almost all of them at some point

That's the nature of the beast.
    So many canyons, so many miles of canyons.
    Add the feeder streams and, well, there ya go.
    The late Bill Carnazzo and I fished the exact same canyon stretches for 30 years before we hooked up at the fly shop one day.
    One of the most interesting conversations I'd ever had. We were both trying to see what the other knew without giving up any info ourselves.
    A canyon rat trait.
    It was hilarious after awhile, when we both knew where we stood. I could add a bit to his knowledge base and he added tons more to mine.
    RIP Bill, you were special.
    Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Ed, have enjoyed your posts for years. I don't do many myself. Your discussion on Canyons is close to my heart. Just fished a Canyon trib at start of the week. Lots of small rainbows. Realized I have been fishing this particular creek for over 52 years. Not many changes, still some miners but no suction dredges. I had the same type of discussion with Bill Carnazzo at a NFARA meeting once. Interesting and informative guy. We fished many of the same waters. You were right about the golden stones. Saw two adults and a few shucks. Overall, a good day on the creek, one tick, some poison oak and I didn't break my Walton Powell 8' 4 wt after a few falls...Tight lines....

Great stories and history...