Thread: Florida is completely under rated as a fly fishing destination.

Default Florida is completely under rated as a fly fishing destination.

After having a small cottage in Sebastian, Florida for 15 years now I am convinced that Florida is

completely under rated as a fly fishing destination.

Al Bunch at Kiene's Fly Shop has been renting a house south of Tampa for a month for about 20 years now.

The house is on a canal and comes with a skiff plus friends come and they hire guides as well.

I think you can fish 12 months of the year in Florida and they speak English too.

Aug - Nov is the Mullet run or bait migration where the small food fish head south for the winter.

Spring is the Jack Crevalle run where they are heading North for the Summer.

Big Tarpon time is usually April, May and June on both coasts and the Keys.

Small to medium resident Tarpon (5-50#) are good May through October with June/July best.

Florida strain Large Mouth Black Bass are good December through May........everywhere.

Down south there are canals with Peacock bass, Snook, Tarpon, and Exotics.

All winter they fish the surf for Pompano and Whiting.

Florida has fantastic offshore fishing too.

Two anglers can come for a week during a good timing and split the coasts of lodging and guides.

Two couples can come for a week or a month and rent a cottage and have a wonderful trip almost anywhere in Florida.

If you move to Florida they have no state income tax, everything is affordable and houses are cheap.

The Snow Birds are here November though May but it is a ghost town in the Summers.

In the warmer months anglers go out extremely early and quit by noon.

Then they can go out again at 9 pm and fish till after midnight around the docks with "fish lights" under them.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

How true you speak Bill! Though we have only done several months worth of it, we thoroughly enjoyed ALL of it and can't wait to get back. Oh....and gators are specially hard on flies!
    .....lee s.

The fishing is basically the only thing I miss about living in FL, but it's true, it's pretty much lights out year round if you are willing to switch readily between species that you target. The offshore wreck fishing in winter is also a pretty great way to fill the freezer with super tasty snapper, grouper, and the like.

It's also a very affordable place to visit for the most part. Sarasota is my favorite city in FL, but I also love the middle Keys. Been going there off and on since I was less than 6 years old.

Hi Bill,

I know just a little bit about fishing in Florida (and even less about fly fishing travel in general for that matter), but have formed the opinion that given overall ease of travel, safety, and the talent of our local American guides that saltwater destinations like Florida are tough to beat.

Due to fishing pressure I am sure that stateside fish are tougher than fish in exotic locations. But they are very catchable (especially with a good guide) if an angler can cast 40' competently (accurately, in wind, etc.).

I've had some great tarpon fishing in the keys in recent years and look forward to seeing more of Florida and its endless and diverse fisheries- including the everglades and the saltwater rivers in your neck of the woods. Matt
    Church of Wild Steelhead!

Hopefully Matt and Andy will come together to stay with us for a week in June/July, the peak Tarpon time in our little Sebastian river.

We use floating lines most of the time and your fly casting ability is very important, but doable.

Steve Potter, formerly from Tracy, CA, has moved down here near us so we are headed out again on Wednesday.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Report AND pics......PLEASE!
    Sounds like Steve is going to have some traveling to do to do our club presentations now.
    .....lee s.

Yes Lee

They rented a place in Vero Beach 20 minutes blow us and are looking for a house and a boat.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Lee; Mike McKinley here. Several of us are going to hit Salt Springs Reservoir near Copperopolis on Monday (cooler weather,high clouds) Love to see you there. PM me or call. Same for Steve M

Dam! Gotta work now during the season.....sorry to miss it Mike.....
    .....lee s.