Thread: New Informative Video

Default New Informative Video

One last video on the float n fly, then I will be on to topwater for the rest of the year!

When I do these float n fly trips, one of the most common things people are surprised about, is how light the takes can be. The other day we had one of those days when almost all the takes were very subtle, and I happened to have my camera gear on board, so I filmed some of the takes for a demo video. It's kind of slapped together but it gets the point across. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/qwOmbOWhrs4

By the way, on days with cooler weather right now, the float n fly bite is going off, last week I saw some of the best bass fishing I have ever seen using the f&f. Might not see to many more cool days so we could be at the end of the main float n fly season. However with the warmer weather, my go to game plan will be topwater in the early mornings until around noon, then I will switch to the float n fly mid day, maybe some streamers. Then back to topwater from 5:30-dark.

Really awesome pretty innovative stuff!
    What knot do you use to rig your flies? Is the dropper tied through the eye of the top hook or at the bend?
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/

Thank you Matt! I use Lefty Kreh loop knots to the fly. And I rarely fish droppers because of tangle issues, but it is a good idea if you want to go deeper fast. My friend Boti actually ties leeches with a mono loop in the bottom of the fly near the lead head, he does this so people can tie on a dropper from that loop. Otherwise I would tie the dropper to the top eye, to help keep somewhat balanced.

Another great video in your series. Just to see the minor twitches and how to wait for 2 of them is really helpful. Same with the bobber type. Also really good about where to tie in a dropper fly if desired. Although with dropper fly you lower the amount of feedback you get about where the fly is. If dropper fly drags in weeds or bottom, the indicator goes off; but the fly may still be above the weeds. If the fishing fly is weighted, especially if it is a balanced jig type fly, you receive more info as to where the fly is relative to bottom or if a fish is nibbling.

Nice job once again Ryan. Very informative. Thank you.

McFish you are spot on about the bobbers and the dropper fly. That is a major reason I don't do the droppers actually. Being able to tell if you are on the bottom or not is absolutely critical for this technique. So yes, the indicator could be taunt, straight up and down, top fly would be suspended correctly, but no telling what is happening with the bottom fly.

Same goes for takes with the dropper too, the indicator will not be able to indicate, sensitively when a fish is nibbling at the bottom fly. BUT a weightless little nymph dropper just in case trout are around would not effect anything at all.

And thank you Gregg! Very much appreciated.