Thread: Tahoe area report

Default Tahoe area report

I fished in the Sierra's this past weekend. Our intention was to fish the Truckee, but it was that time of year where all the fishermen are packed into about 6 fish-able miles of river and the crowds reflected this. Anything below Boca inflow is pretty much blown out right now, so fishermen are stacked up between town and the Prosser inflow.

We decided to head up 89 and fish the MF Feather for 2 days, and boy that was a good call. Conditions up there are very good, and so was the fishing. We fished a lot of new water that I really enjoyed. Once you keyed in with the right dry flies, the fishing was thumbs up for some nice fish. Double digit days on landed fish with some really nice fighting wild fish. Lost a couple of beasts that just did not want to play.

The section we were in was a bitch to wade, with a lot of slippery cobble. I took a full plunge, and can confirm once again that snow melt runoff is COLD! Thank God I had my cell phone in a closed Ziplock bag and it survived my swim.

I will be fishing this river much more in the future.

Good call on hitting the MFF. Seems that it always fishing good early in the season. When the weather
    gets hot, from my experience, it slows down significantly. I agree, there are some sections on the MFF
    that are real tough to wade.

Thanks for the report. I forget about that section as a great option the Big T.

EricO

Fished the section further down off Caribou rd for the opener and it was good. Hwy 70 above Rock Creek and Grizzly Cr fished well too.
    People were camping in the unincorporated spots then as well, but spread out. Gonna explore Deer creek this weekend.
    Cheers

what town is the MF Feather River in?

The Middle Fork Feather runs through Portola and Graeagle/Blairden with Quincy being the furthest town downstream. The North Fork Feather is essentially the Feather River Canyon parallel to HWY 70 going upstream to Caribou and downstream to Belden. Further past the Caribou Crossroad RV Camp along HWY 70 is Spanish Creek. Both rivers parallel HWY 70 at some point and which can be a bit confusing...
    Last edited by mattv-mcfly; 06-05-2020 at 02:44 PM.
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/