In the Fall back in the 1970s Joe Shirshac was taking many of us young Baby Boomers to the Klamath river.

One of those years a young Noe Fierros went with us for his first time on the Klamath.

He drove his 2 seater Alfa Romeo sports car with his camping gear in the passenger seat and trunk.

That trip changed Noe life forever....starting an over 40 year plus love affair with the wonderful Klamath river.

Joe usually stayed in an RV/Campground around Orleans and he fished from Johnson's Bar up to Happy Camp.

Somehow Noe got connected with the old Klamath River Lodge about 4 miles down stream of Orleans.

http://www.klamathriverlodge.com/

Over the years I have gone with Noe and other good buddies to the Klamath River Lodge.

The lodge is one one of the best long wadeable runs on the middle river so you don't have to leave if you don't want to.

Noe loved to fish his little 3 weight rod if it wasn't windy. He had a 5 weight for windy afternoons.

Pretty sure he used mostly a floating line, tapered leader and his flies were unweighted and around a #8, slightly longer hook?

Noe tied his own unique flies that we tailored after the October Caddis insect.

He had a fly, that was probably his "go to" that looked like an adult October Caddis that he fished "damp".

Noe told me he went to the middle Klamath river three times every Fall. Mid-September, mid-October and mid-November.

He said the fish were smaller in Sept, a little larger in Oct and the largest in November.

If you land a 10# Steelhead in the Klamath it is a huge event.

Fish over 5# are usually screamers.....

Noe just told me that he is done going to the Klamath river.......which is kind of sad but try to imagine the fishing he saw in 40 years?