Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deschutes Summer Runs

Thanks Matt, thats a sweet hairwing, never heard of it before...I picked up John Shewey’s Classic Steelhead Flies earlier this year and been enjoying it quite a bit. Appreciate your insight on the Deschutes

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    So I've fished both the Klamath and Deschutes. The lower Klamath adults are similar to but on average definitely smaller than Deschutes summers. Middle Klamath fish can't hold a candle to those in the Deschutes. I've only fished it in August with mostly B run fish (smaller) than the later A run fish that are bigger on average. Deschutes fish, at least the ones I've encountered in August, are awesome. Dry lines in the shade, tips in the sun. I've caught plenty of trout in the Deschutes in the lower 40 miles but never a fish I'd call a 1/2 lbr.

I've only experienced the lower river pursuing steel. There is a lot of road between Maupin and Macks with many classic steelhead runs and numerous camps. You can camp at the mouth too and walk up. The lower river is a no stop the boat zone so only walk wade angling, super classic runs, many anglers.

The Deschutes fish numbers have gone south the last couple years, enough so I bagged last year's trip.

Andy
    Andy’s comments are right on; I fished it in the 68-76 years when the runs were much better and the anglers much fewer. It was never easy and the entire Columbia basin steelhead are but a fraction of historic levels. Big river with some tough wading, spey rods have made a difference. The fish average much larger than the Klamath and there are no half pounders, but some big, thick shouldered resident trout.
    September would be a good month from Maupin downstream, concentrate on steelhead when the sun is off the water and switch to trout when it’s on could be a good tactic.
    It’s a beautiful river in a spectacular setting, just don’t have too high expectations if you’re new to it. It’s a river where a good guide will be worth the investment.