Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bass

John, are you doing the actual shooting. If so, what type of camera are you using, or is it a smart phone. If it's mounted, what type of mount.
    I'm getting back into photography since I can't catch any fish :-0, I use to do a lot of photography, I did shoot a lot of weddings before I got tired of the mothers and mother in laws demanding they wanted this photo and that photo. I also did all the developing and color printing in my own dark room. way back when you really had to know photography. You didn't get a second chance with film.
    OH by the way fantastic photo's
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Jay - I pretty much shot all those with Olympus TG-5 in one and and the fish in the other hand. The carp was shot by my boat buddy while I held the fish. The dog I shot on the GoPro. I have a Nikon 610 I use a lot but did not use it here. I think I bought the Olympus after I saw you mention it in a post. I had a film SLR for a few years right before digital took over. That was a whole different game. I imagine shooting weddings could be stressful. I knew someone who shot weddings and used the term bridezilla.

I still use my TG-4 at places like CI, Aitutaki and Baja. I also use it sometimes at the lakes around here but never seem to get any fish photo's, I wonder why. Oh yeah, I don't catch anything to photograph. I use a "gorilla" tripod. You can adjust it to many different angles. Once I spot carp on the surface or subsurface, I start running the video making sure I stay within the frame. I have a lot of video from my carp adventures but have never posted any. Going in the morning to see if the carp are coming out to play.
    I was a GoPro dealer for a couple years and then shred away from them. Been thinking about buying the new 8 series since I can get a good discount where I work.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

The striped bass were upset that they had been left out of the Breaking Bass post so in the interest of fair treatment of all bass I decided I would let them in on the fun. I saw that Jeff C was wrapping up the shad season so I figured it was a good time to float the AR and try for a striper. A few of the line sides were caught, some shad were spotted and hooked, the wind blew us all over the river, the bike shuttle was successful and nobody broke into the car. Pretty good morning on the AR.

Last edited by John H; 06-28-2020 at 02:28 PM.

After the Shad are gone, I think July/Aug are good Striper months in the A.

I think this will be Andy's main focus till Fall.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I have had my eye on some Delta kayak fishing for bass for a while. I scouted a spot in May that was close to home and looked like I could drag my boat in and out. I finally got down there and found the wind and tidal currents in the Delta are formidable. You can really get spun around and blown around while trying to make a cast. I went early in the morning for the topwater bite and to try to dodge the wind. I caught a few bass, missed a big blow up, lucked into a 30" topwater striper and did not hurt my back dragging my boat around. I think the ideal fishing window for me is no wind, if that ever happens, and a morning high tide. Fun stuff.

Nice John.....did you use Google Earth to find that spot?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I used to go there 40 years ago and sit on the bank fishing with clams for catfish. Funny how it took a global pandemic to get me back there. You can see it pretty well on the satellite image. Lots of chop on the water in the image from wind which I guess is not surprising.

I should mention what I ate on the way home - a fig bar and some iced tea. Very tasty.
    Last edited by John H; 07-02-2020 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I used to go there 40 years ago and sit on the bank fishing with clams for catfish. Funny how it took a global pandemic to get me back there. You can see it pretty well on the satellite image. Lots of chop on the water in the image from wind which I guess is not surprising.

I should mention what I ate on the way home - a fig bar and some iced tea. Very tasty.
    Saw this before your edit............................................ kewel !!!!

Bob

I got back to the Delta today. I had my game face on for the wind this time which basically means I fished the shoreline the wind gave me even if it was not the best shoreline. I caught fish but it sure seemed like I covered a lot of good shoreline that did not have any biters. I fished mostly at high tide and am wondering if the fish don't move up with the tide and were too deep to come up for my bug. I guess I need to spend some time on it. You cant master Delta bass fishing in two trips.

If anybody has some Delta bass experience and wants to pass along some of their wisdom I would love to hear it.

Last edited by John H; 07-09-2020 at 05:38 PM.