Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Breaking Bass

Bob - That striper was no five pounder but they sure do pull hard. A little adversity has made me appreciate cruising around in a running truck even if it is a little long in the tooth.

I dodged the wind this morning and got a couple nice bass and a pike minnow on the topwater bug. First pike minnow on the surface for me. Not exactly on the bucket list like the permit or the 100 pound tarpon but that is okay. If I was starting a native species bucket list the topwater pike minnow would definitely be on it.

The morning topwater bite window can be short. It seemed like it lasted about an hour and then shut down. If you are going out to fish morning topwater do not show up late.

Just to shake things up I tried the evening topwater bite. Fish were caught and it seemed like the bite went on a little longer than the morning bite. I had a huge blow up that I did not hook and thought for a while I had missed megabass but it was a horizontal attack which is unusual for a bass. Northern pike attack horizontally and bass attack from below so it is usually pretty easy to tell the difference when they grab. This blow up was horizontal and it missed the bug which I don't think a bass would not have done on a blow up like that. Anyhow, my conclusion was it was a big pike minnow and not a bass. I sort of feel better thinking that I did not miss my shot at megabass but you never know.

I like this picture and you can see the chartreuse/yellow bugger pretty well. It is a big fly with a steep nose so it makes a lot of noise. It does land upside down more than I would like. I think when they are top heavy or don't have a flat bottom they do that. I might trim it down and see if that helps.

Last edited by John H; 08-04-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Winds were light in the Delta today so I drove my long-in-the-tooth truck down there and did some fishing. I was able to stay out a little longer than usual because the wind did not beat me up, take my lunch money and send me home. I hooked a big one early and lost it. Without doubt the biggest largemouth I have touched. I got a couple of good looks at it and have a guess at the size. Easy come, easy go.

I did land a bass a little bigger than the regular size range and got a striper on a current seam when the tide turned and started to head out. The topwater bite ended pretty abruptly but it took me another hour to give up on it and switch to the Clouser. Pretty fun day.

Like everyone else I really enjoy your posts and pictures!

I have been fishing in the Delta close to Rio Vista which I think is one of the windiest places in California. When you can see about 500 wind turbines from where you are fishing you can be certain you are in a windy spot. I figured I should try a less windy spot so I checked out a map, scoured the internet, drove around a little and found a spot near Stockton. The wind was pretty manageable so that was a success but I must have been fishing the small fish habitat because that is mostly what I got. I will have to poke around a little and see if I can find the lair of the bruiser.

A cargo ship went past me. Those things a scary up close. They move a lot of water and make almost no sound. It is amazing something that big could sneak up on you.

Not much of a picture today. My line got wrapped around a log as I was getting my camera out and it was quickly a big mess I needed to get out of before something bad happened like a broken rod.

This is a good looking topwater largemouth. A sharp picture can be hard to get when the light is low. This was 8:17 PM according to my camera. That is a little past the limit of good light but you get what you get sometimes. I might try the flash next time.

Super nice shots !

Light winds and a falling tide made for good Delta conditions this morning. I caught a bunch of fish, missed a few good blow ups, lost a nice one at the net, got a couple sharp pictures and swung by Circle K for a giant soda.

When I got home I put the kayak in storage and put the bass rods in their tubes. It has been a long run of bass fishing but I think this is the end of the line for Breaking Bass. Almost five months of bass on the brain. I had fun posting, learned a lot about bass fishing in our area and made a serious upgrade to my top water bugs. Good times for sure.

Last edited by John H; 08-14-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Hey John, Thanks so much for sharing the incredible images and experiences these past few months. Just awesome to check in every day and find a great documentary. So, what's next? We'll have to put our collective heads together and come up with a title to the next adventure! "Better Call Sole"? Probably not..... not heard of a Flounder taking top water dear hair patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Light winds and a falling tide made for good Delta conditions this morning. I caught a bunch of fish, missed a few good blow ups, lost a nice one at the net, got a couple sharp pictures and swung by Circle K for a giant soda.

When I got home I put the kayak in storage and put the bass rods in their tubes. It has been a long run of bass fishing but I think this is the end of the line for Breaking Bass. Almost five months of bass on the brain. I had fun posting, learned a lot about bass fishing in our area and made a serious upgrade to my top water bugs. Good times for sure.
    As always John, THANK YOU for posting your adventures.
    It's a shame that "Breaking Bass" has come to an end for, not only you, but all of us.

I also looked forward to checking up on you daily here to see how the bass were treating you.

As been said many times before, your reports and pictures have helped to keep us somewhat "even keeled" during these current times........................... lots of bad JuJu going on in the world nowadays.

Whats next ??????? The "Steelhead Saga" ??????

Once again John, THANK YOU for the mental medicine !!!!!

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 08-15-2020 at 07:59 AM.