Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bass

Ocean - The kayak is a good way to go. You have to pick your spots but you can get right in there on top of the bass. There are a bunch of kayaks out there. I have been disappointed to get into some small spots and find a kayak guy already in there. There was a guy earlier this year who I think had his wife drop him off so there was no car at the put in but then I would find him in there getting after my bass. I gave him the stink eye to let him know he was not welcome on my water. I joke about the stink eye but I was not real talkative.

Eric- The deer hair tying is tough. That photo looks good but if you get the fly in your hands you can see some things that need work. It will still catch a bunch of fish. I watched a video by Steve Potter who I think is from Lodi. He made it look pretty easy. He was tying at the ISE this year but I was not there the day he was.

Windy in the Delta today. I had to fish the few spots where the wind was not blowing but I did find some fish. I am going to try to catch some bass in Oregon next week. We will see how that goes.

Last edited by John H; 07-23-2020 at 02:50 PM.

I watched another tying video. My daughter asked me what I did before Youtube and I told her I had books with pictures and recipes. I still have a stack of fly tying books but I don't use them any more. The guy I watched this time was really good but a little too meticulous for my tying purposes. you learn a lot watching someone tie that way and you can keep what you want from what he is doing and pass on what does not work for you. I incorporated a few things he did and came up with this. It seems like most tiers on Youtube don't put legs on. They are a hassle but I think they catch fish so I am going to stay with them for now. My bugs have really improved in the last two weeks. Now I just need a five pounder to crush one of them.

Last edited by John H; 07-25-2020 at 06:56 PM.

I mentioned that I was going to Oregon to try for some bass. I thought I would report on how it is going. The report is it is not going well.

I got about 70 miles from home and my 2000 Tundra died on 1-5. I coasted safely to the shoulder and got a tow back. It turns out the radiator and the timing belt went out simultaneously. Either one of those would have killed the trip but fate wanted to make sure I did not get there and dropped them both on me. I opted for the repair rather than junking it and getting a new rig. For some reason I want to drive around in a scrappy old rig rather than a comfortable and reliable new one. Hopefully that works out.

Seems like the last five months has been a series of plans not working out. Maybe this is the end of the line for Breaking Bass. We’ll see.
    Last edited by John H; 07-28-2020 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I mentioned that I was going to Oregon to try for some bass. I thought I would report on how it is going. The report is it is not going well.

I got about 70 miles from home and my 2000 Tundra died on 1-5. I coasted safely to the shoulder and got a tow back. It turns out the radiator and the timing belt went out simultaneously. Either one of those would have killed the trip but fate wanted to make sure I did not get there and dropped them both on me. I opted for the repair rather than junking it and getting a new rig. For some reason I want to drive around in a scrappy old rig rather than a comfortable and reliable new one. Hopefully that works out.

Seems like the last five months has been a series of plans not working out. Maybe this is the end of the line for Breaking Bass. We’ll see.
    AWWWWWWW............................crap John.

I hear ya on the "last five months has been a series of plans not working out".

I just spent a ton of cash on preventative maintenance on my 20 year old scrappy Jeep too.
    I've been kind of quiet lately due to spending my fishing money on vehicle maintenance.
    I'll be DONE with all of the PM by next week..................hopefully.

Hopefully, loosing the timing belt in your truck didn't wipe out the valve train $$$$ Been there and done that one.

The thing about driving around in our 20 year old heaps is that insurance is cheap, and they're paid for !!!!!!

Oh, at least you didn't receive a Jury Summons on your birthday like I did last week.
    61 years old, fat as a pig, eat like a horse, and smoke like a chimney, and they insist that I show up to a crowded/confined area during this pandemic...........bastard sons of bitches.

Sometimes it feels like "if it weren't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all".

Hang in there John !!!!

We all will wait for your next installment of "Breaking Bass".

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 07-28-2020 at 11:42 PM.

Great looking bugs and nice fish, too !

I trust you'll find a away to keep "Breaking Bass" going! It's been a sanity check for most of us.....

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    I trust you'll find a away to keep "Breaking Bass" going! It's been a sanity check for most of us.....
    My thoughts exactly......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The truck is back on the road and seems to be running smoothly. It has a new timing belt, radiator, windshield, headlights and tires. That puts me back in the boat hauling business and on an American River float. I never do well for stripers there but it is a nice morning float that is close and I usually do catch something. We caught this one which was not the biggest fish in the river but I like the picture and it pulled hard. We had a bigger one up to the boat but lost it on a barbless hook I had straightened out several times. I guess I should have changed flies. We also had a ten pounder follow to the boat and not bite. That would have been a score.

Last edited by John H; 07-31-2020 at 06:58 PM.

John--- Your photos are great! Thanks for posting them.
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    The truck is back on the road and seems to be running smoothly. It has a new timing belt, radiator, windshield, headlights and tires. That puts me back in the boat hauling business and on an American River float. I never do well for stripers there but it is a nice morning float that is close and I usually do catch something. We caught this one which was not the biggest fish in the river but I like the picture and it pulled hard. We had a bigger one up to the boat but lost it on a barbless hook I had straightened out several times. I guess I should have changed flies. We also had a ten pounder follow to the boat and not bite. That would have been a score.

Good to see you back out fishing and reporting again John !!!!!

Was your pictured striper the 5#'er that Santa was suppose to bring you ???

Keep up the "Breaking Bass" John, we all love seeing what you've been up to.........even when you've been faced with adversity.

Bob