Thread: Breathable Wader Leak Detection

Default Breathable Wader Leak Detection

Hello Fellow FF, My breathable waders have developed a leak on the left leg below the knee. It is not readily apparent where it is. I filled that side w/ water to ID leaks. No luck. Does anyone have a good way to find small leaks? Once I find it, I am going to repair w/ Aquaseal + FD wader repair kit. Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you. Fin

If they are Gore-Tex you can turn them inside out and spray the area with alcohol and you get a dark blue/purple dot where the hole is.

If they are not Gore-Tex then maybe try putting them under water with air inside them. Then squeeze them to see bubbles?

Google "fixing leaky waders?"
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

What Bill said... don't fill them with water... fill with air and roll the top of the waders over tight, then submerge (in bathtub, pool, or river)... look for the teeny bubbles.

While the hole is revealed using Bill's technique, circle it with a sharpie or pencil. When the alcohol dries you'll still know where the hole is. Don't apply Aqua Seal while alcohol is still wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    If they are Gore-Tex you can turn them inside out and spray the area with alcohol and you get a dark blue/purple dot where the hole is.

If they are not Gore-Tex then maybe try putting them under water with air inside them. Then squeeze them to see bubbles?

Google "fixing leaky waders?"
    Doesn't have to be goretex. Turn inside out, brush liberally with alcohol, then turn outside out and the leaks will show as dark spots on the outside. I would not bother with Bill's water idea.