Thread: Would this work for shad?

Default Would this work for shad?

Trying to see if what I have currently would work for shad. I have a 9'-6", 8 weight rod, fast w/ 8 weight clear full camo sub surface line? I see a lot of talk about switch and spey rods...well I don't have any yet. Never been out for shad and looking to go fishing. Thanks in advance.

100% that will work. I use a 6wt single (have tons of two handers) but and 8wt would honestly be better on some of the bigger shad. It does depend where you plan to target them a little. Obviously a deep pool is going to require a faster sink than a shallow riffle but all the same, it'll work just chose your water wisely.

If you come up the american and I have some time, I'd happily show you the ropes.

Single handed rods work fine for shad. Line choice is much more important than rod set-up. Get yourself a set of shooting heads from floaters to fast sinking. I typically use type II or III on the valley rivers depending on the flow. Occasionally you'll need to go shallower and sometimes you'll have to go deeper depending on where the fish are and the area you are swinging. All the major line manufacturers make them. I use my shooting heads for shad, stripers, surfperch, and other fishing where long casts are required. A running line can be as simple as 30 lb mono or one of the specialty running lines.

If you don't want to get a set of shooting heads, your line will likely work in slower moving water but it is a pain to cast a normal taper line the distances required for shad.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov

I have Air-Flo Super Fast sinking Polyleader. Is that the same as a shooting head?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sink Tip.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	15676

As said above, yes that set up will work. You may find that a sinking poly leader would be better in terms of getting a bit deeper (or a set of shooting heads). If you have a floating line, I’d use that with sinking leaders, especially with the lower flows this year. Also, imo, an 8wt is way overkill on Shad, so if you have a 6wt I’d use that instead personally. I have used a 6wt single hand a number of times for Shad, and I’ve never felt that I would want any more than that. If an 8wt is the only option, then go for it. The reason you hear a lot about using two handed rods for Shad is because they are fun to fish with, and Shad lend themselves well to swinging flies, but you can still fish very effectively with a single hand rod...no need for a two handed rod for Shad, but they are fun if you ever do go that route.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

I do have a 6 wt. single hand. I could go with a floating line and throw that sinking leader on it. Thank you.

On average, the last few hours can be the best time for most anglers for Shad.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Update/Fishing Report 5/10/20 7:00-11:00 - Gristmill

Fishing Report/Update to Story....
    Went to Gristmill today and fished west of launch at the end of the gravel bar from 7:00am-9:00am for nada. Using flies similar to these...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shad Flies.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	15679. Needed a different game plan....

So I took a ride to Kiene's Fly Shop got a quick bit of advice from Andy and picked up a few Bloody Maria and Firecrackers.....then headed back to Gristmill and just like on those fishing shows where it looks like they catch a fish on every cast, first cast...BAM! Hooked up on a shad, my first one ever. See attached for where fish was caught. Not a real secret spot or anything. No picture of fish, was out in rapids and couldn't get to my phone at that moment.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gristmill.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	15680

Now I am not saying that everyone that goes to Kiene's will catch fish but what they have will give you the best opportunity at a fish.

Summary: Gristmill around 10:00am hooked up with 1-1.5 lb on a Bloody Maria. Fished until about 11:00am with one more that I could not get to the net. Lots of "fisherman" at the launch area of Gristmill. Some kayakers, 1 drift boat and some dogs.