Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truckee

Default Truckee

Whats happening on the Truckee now. Anyone fishing there lately? Are flow too high this early? I was thinking of taking a trip up there.

I fished it a week ago, very poor fishing despite river looking great. Normally this is my favorite time of year to fish it, I like it at 1500-2500 cfs. Best fishing I ever had on the river was when it was about 3k cubes. As long as it's still green I find it much easier to find the fish (especially the larger ones) and hook them consistently when it's high with runoff, of course I won't wear waders and walk the banks and fish the soft water taking care not to fall in. That said, right now the rivers at 250 near Truckee so seems like the big melt hasn't started yet. Should be game on when it gets big...last week was probably just an off day for the river, I find the big Truckee can just have lousy days and can fish great the next day so always try to fish at least 2 days when I go despite it being fairly close by.

I went into the canyon two weeks ago and it fished decent. I also roped a pig on a dry on the LT. Ymmv.

Many years ago Walt Bennett told us to fish the Truckee river down low around Floriston early on because it warmed up sooner.

Millard Fox, owner of Fox's Flies in Sparks, NV told us to come up around the 4th of July for good dry fly fishing on the Truckee.

The big Truckee river has been know for years to be difficult and inconsistent for the average fly fisher but many have put in their

time on this great river and are much more successful today.

The Truckee river has a rich, diverse food source for fish so they don't have to eat your fly.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Many years ago Walt Bennett told us to fish the Truckee river down low around Floriston early on because it warmed up sooner.

Millard Fox, owner of Fox's Flies in Sparks, NV told us to come up around the 4th of July for good dry fly fishing on the Truckee.

The big Truckee river has been know for years to be difficult and inconsistent for the average fly fisher but many have put in their

time on this great river and are much more successful today.

The Truckee river has a rich, diverse food source for fish so they don't have to eat your fly.
    Bill, the Big Truckee befuddles me more than any other river. I feel like I can catch fish on the Upper Sac, Pit,
    Yuba etc...but the Truckee?? It always changes. I had a 10+ fish day there some years back and haven't come
    close since. And, I went the following week, in June when the hatches were awesome, only to get skunked.

I guess that's why I return to fish it...to abuse my mind while trying to crack the code. Plus, there are some
    pigs in there, so every so often I'll hook into one.

Eric

Any updates? I am new to the truckee and was thinking of taking amtrak into town for a day or two. can i fish the river right there in town? Was just ganna pack my waders and gear plus an overnight bag and fish for the day, rest, pick it up in the morning if my train departure is late enough.

I mean you could do that, but you would miss a lot of the good water without a car. Uber is not really a viable option up there. You’d have to do a LOT of walking.

If you have a car just drive up. It’s not that far. Even a rental car for one night would be about the same cost as a train ticket would be.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    I mean you could do that, but you would miss a lot of the good water without a car. Uber is not really a viable option up there. You’d have to do a LOT of walking.

If you have a car just drive up. It’s not that far. Even a rental car for one night would be about the same cost as a train ticket would be.
    no car, no DL. bicycle commuter of ten years.

Maybe you could take your bike and some camping gear on the train. That would be a cool fishing trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Twowheelsonecamera View Post
    Any updates? I am new to the truckee and was thinking of taking amtrak into town for a day or two. can i fish the river right there in town? Was just ganna pack my waders and gear plus an overnight bag and fish for the day, rest, pick it up in the morning if my train departure is late enough.
    There is plenty of potentially great fishing within walking distance of the train station between the trailer park and 267 bridge. Lots of recreational traffic during the day, but it goes to sleep in the evening just as the trout are "waking up". Target the FRONT of each boulder and the shadows around them.